What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 7 very slow explorer

yamawho

Installed windows 7 64 bit on my HTPC and after I loaded up about 3 gig of movies it was working fine. Over the weekend I booted it up and how I need to wait about 15 seconds whenever I click on the folder ... that's up with that?

I have 2GB ram and running a AMD 7750 at stock with a 1TB hdd.

Surfer_2099

This might seem like a bit of a stupid question, but speaking of Explorer...

Is Win7 default IE8 or no?

If yes, can it be rolled back to IE7 or removed and IE7 installed? I do online courses with students throughout Ontario and the Desire 2 Learn environment does not like IE8 when it comes to working within the courses.

Curiously_Concerned_Canuck :)

JD

Staff member
Nope, strictly IE8. Though using the compatibility mode within IE8 should solve any issues.

yamawho

I had the same problem; i turned off indexing and now everything is ok.

Just so we are clear, this is explorer not IE7 or 8 ...

I turned indexing off and it seemed not to do much at first but then it was alittle better.

Anyway, I turned on the system last night and got alot of clicking then no boot drive.

Was sure the hdd gave up the ghost but after going in the bios and seeing that the hdd was there, I reinstalled windows 7 and so far it's working ...
I haven't loaded all the movies etc yet however.

I am starting to suspect that a recommended update could have hosed my system.
Not basing this on fact, just a feeling.

bojangles

How about your power saving features? Do the hard drives turn off after a while? Perhaps Explorer is trying to access them when it loads but it has to wait for the hard drives to power up again. Try disabling power saving for hard drives.

yamawho

How about your power saving features? Do the hard drives turn off after a while? Perhaps Explorer is trying to access them when it loads but it has to wait for the hard drives to power up again. Try disabling power saving for hard drives.

Fortunately I don't need to try that since the system is going great after the fresh install. Just for the record, I did check that while I was pulling my hair out :haha:

Before reinstalling win7 and played around with ubuntu, a few versions of Mint 7 and Mepis ... no dice on the sound thru HDMI. My original plan was to run this system on linux :ph34r: