What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 7 Wont Install Updates

FlyingFish

I've got a friend's laptop that's been giving me grief for a while and it's a headscratcher. To me anyways.:haha:

It's a Lenovo notebook running 7 professional 32 bit. When I open up Windows update, it checks for updates but just sits there forever and never finds any. Yesterday it showed some updates and when I tried to download them and install, after 4 hours it said that all of them failed. When I look at my update history it shows that the last time any updates installed successfully was in December.

I also tried downloading SP1 directly from MS. When I run the installer it says "insufficent system resources"

No malware or viruses as far as I can tell.

Anyone have any ideas? Thx in advance!

_dangtx_

Banned
there was a kb about it, something about making the next updates easier or such. had issues on one machine after applying that one

try to manually dl one or two if it still doesnt want to do it, then get the discs, then apply sp1, then update again, then take out all the ibm software
that come from the discs

FlyingFish

thanks, downloading the kb thats supposed to fix this.

will update later to let everyone know how it works out.

JD

Staff member
And for others, the KB you want is called "System Update Readiness Tool" and you'll want the most recent one. As of now, the latest is Feburary 2011.

If you have issues installing SP1, I strongly recommend running it as well. It fixed one of the computers in my house.

FlyingFish

And for others, the KB you want is called "System Update Readiness Tool" and you'll want the most recent one. As of now, the latest is Feburary 2011.

If you have issues installing SP1, I strongly recommend running it as well. It fixed one of the computers in my house.
System readiness tool wont install, all I get is an error 938001.

Didn't find anything on google that was helpful.

Probably going to do a repair install on this.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I had the same issue with a clients computer on friday. Spent 4 hours trying to solve it, got the same message as you with the readiness tool. I grabbed a copy of the new win7 sp1 release off technet and will try a repair using that tomorrow.