What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 8 Has its First High-Level Defectors

Sam_Reynolds

News Editor
Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system – more specifically its Metro interface – has been lauded by some as the perfect embrace of hardware agnostic computing. Jen Hsun Huang, the smooth talking silicon scion that presides over NVIDIA, is an outspoken proponent of Windows 8, telling the crowd at the Emerging Companies Summit at May’s GPU Technology Conference that he thinks Microsoft’s strategy is “right”.

But for every Jen Hsun Huang, there is an equally prominent detractor of Microsoft’s vision for the new school of computing ecosystems that is manifested in Windows 8.

Read more here: Windows 8 Has its First High-Level Defectors | Hardware Canucks

sswilson

Staff member
Are game companies ready for that? I'd love it, but honestly, how much support would there be for it in windows circles, and if it's not well supported through windows, it's not going to have a large enough base to be economically viable.

ipaine

Just because windows 8 is not being well received in many circles, doesn't mean windows 7 is going anywhere fast. I mean I'm pretty sure I will have windows 7 on my machines until at least windows 9 comes out anyways.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
OpenGL certainly has potential considering it isn't under the auspices of Microsoft. On the other hand, the "open" part of the graphics language is the issue since there is basically no directionality or hierarchical oversight when it comes to kernel development.

NSdeadly1

I know i'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future. I understand where MS is trying to go with Win 8, but like Jen Hsun Huang said there are actually very few who want the Metro interface. MS is not looking at the bigger picture here IMO. As far as the Valve/Linux rumors go, i have read in some articles that this is something that very well could be happening. problem is can they get enough developers on board to make it work.

sswilson

Staff member
I know i'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future. I understand where MS is trying to go with Win 8, but like Jen Hsun Huang said there are actually very few who want the Metro interface. MS is not looking at the bigger picture here IMO. As far as the Valve/Linux rumors go, i have read in some articles that this is something that very well could be happening. problem is can they get enough developers on board to make it work.
Quite frankly, with the current state of AAA titles (I'm looking at you DIII !!!! ) if they can just get the indies onboard that'll be a huge step forward WRT PC gaming.

Perineum

I'm not so stupid that I need the same UI across all my devices.

Different devices work differently. I'm not "stuck" the moment I use my PC because it has a keyboard and mouse and isn't a touch screen like my phone or tablet.

Likewise I can also drive a standard and an automatic! OH! My epeen!

Lpfan4ever

I'm not so stupid that I need the same UI across all my devices.

Different devices work differently. I'm not "stuck" the moment I use my PC because it has a keyboard and mouse and isn't a touch screen like my phone or tablet.

Likewise I can also drive a standard and an automatic! OH! My epeen!
Showoff :whistle:

Latest posts

Twitter