What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 8 to have no start button.

muse108dc

For anything I hear about 8 that makes it sound appealing I hear 6 things that completely put me off again. The beta is coming this month but I dont know if I'm going to even both clearing a harddrive to put it on.

So the start button is gone apparently according to the Verge. Not quite sure how I'm suppose to navigate windows on a desktop or what was wrong with the start button. For all microsoft says and does Metro is not mouse/keyboard friendly, 1 interface does not work in all situations.

If the next thing I hear is they are transitioning xbox live features and cost to windows I will personally walk the all the way to redmond, knock on the door of their headquaters and then just slap the person who opens it (I would walk up to balmer and slap him but hes bigger and scarier than I am).

ADay2Long

From what I heard, or understood, there will be the metro interface which will be touchscreen friendly, and another more traditional interface.

Arinoth

Staff member
No start button, no problem. As long as the windows key still brings it up I don't care if it's there or not.

G

No start button, no problem. As long as the windows key still brings it up I don't care if it's there or not.
Plus if there is a need I give it 5 mins and someone will have a start menu orb/start app out..

bissa

it doesn't. it just brings you back to metro.
and as for slapping balmer, go ahead, he's crazy and would probably either try and sell you windows 3.1 or sweat profusely in your direction.

MacJunky

There is no OS for me to use in the future. :(
Apple wrecked Mac OS.
Microsoft is wrecking Windows.
Linux/Unix do not game.(well kinda, but not really)

Silent_Avenger

Actually you can get the classic start menu back by disabling metro.

Step 1: go to regedit

Step 2: got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Step 3: change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

Close regedit and you should get the classic start menu back. This works in the dev preview out now but I'm not sure if it will be the same in the final release(I assume it would be).

Here's a pic of my dev preview.

19843945.jpg

Last edited:
M

member 3099

Actually you can get the classic start menu back by disabling metro.

Step 1: go to regedit

Step 2: got to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Step 3: change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

Close regedit and you should get the classic start menu back. This works in the dev preview out now but I'm not sure if it will be the same in the final release(I assume it would be).

Here's a pic of my dev preview.

19843945.jpg
There is hope!

rommelrommel

I'm not paying for it anyways unless it really is revolutionarily better, otherwise I'll do my normal skip a gen and buy 9 or whatever they call it.

Silent_Avenger

I'm not paying for it anyways unless it really is revolutionarily better, otherwise I'll do my normal skip a gen and buy 9 or whatever they call it.

I was thinking the same thing I mean it'll be great for touch devices but for a regular desktop I doubt it'll be worth switching over to it.

Latest posts