What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows 8 will not support DVD playback natively

francisw19

I'm in the same boat as most of you guys above...I've never really used the built-in programs that ship with Windows. After the Windows install is done, IE, WMC, WMP, etc... all get gutted. So, I'm not too upset about MS taking out WMC...I suppose it'll just save me an extra step during a clean install. :thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
OTOH, it does seem to be a strange functionality to omit for something that might as well be called Windows Tablet. The great majority of HWC members might be using third party apps, but 95% of users out there want a device/OS that "just works" A-LA Apple. First they cut out the Email functionality, now they've cut out Media.... that leaves Internet connectivity and that's iffy as to whether or not the EU will allow it to be installed.

I can see not wanting to have it integral to the OS (again... EU rulings), but at least with Win 7 it was a simple matter of a quick search over on the MS site for a single DL, and that was free.

sswilson

Staff member
I didn't read any deeper than what's u here, but I'm understanding that they're doing away with media player/media center all together.... maybe it's just media center, but if it's media player as well then that's a lot more than just DVDs you won't be able to play.

b1lk1

Never thought of it that way, they seem to specifically state media player so that should include everything, including music.

BlueByte

I use WMC and use 360's as extenders. Works well, easy to use for my wife. Faster then the media boxes I have seen and used. Its able to handle my music collection(~200K songs) and streams my BR through a pretty interface. its a lazy easy to use program that works better then anything else as a all in one package. Apparently I will be the only one sharpening my pitch fork.... Or just get the version that has WMC in it. My mother in law can use it when she babysits my boy.... my 2 year old boy can use it.

headsh0t

Yes I'm well aware you all know how to download VLC or codec packs and that it's not a big deal, but I don't think some of you guys realize that 90% of the population that doesn't frequent tech sites can barely navigate through Windows let alone know wtf VLC or codec packs are. So instead of natively supporting it they are now asking for however much extra cash$$ for DVD playback and WMC? Just odd they would not include it with the basic Windows 8 version, but I guess there is that chance to grab extra cash. And yes they have to pay licencing fees but aren't new Windows OS like $200-300 on launch?

Last edited:

Latest posts