What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows Defender Gets Perfect Score, Matches The Big Names

JD

Staff member
It was really only the EU that didn't want IE bundled with Windows, likely triggered by some lobby group over there I'd imagine.

I'd say the difference here is that Defender hasn't been part of Windows forever, it's a relatively new inclusion. There's plenty of competition already in the market.

MS can do it "better" though since they design the OS/kernel, so they know how to protect it.

Entz

Another difference is that defender gets disabled if you install another product. It isn't shoved down your throat even if you don't want it by directly integrating into everything.

It is a lot like a firewall as well. These are core protections that should always be included in an OS. Opt in never works when it comes to security.

Good on them. They have been slowly making it better and it is finally at the point where there is little reason not to use it.

Lysrin

I've been using it for a long while now; it's simple, silent, not a resource hog, been pleased with it. I'm pretty careful anyway but glad it is scoring highly now just the same.

mr.joy

I've been using it since I bought my new PC, and whether Defender is good enough depends on your browsing and PC use habits. As for me it's fine, the only issue I found troubling is that you can't really turn off the Defender completely if you don't have another antivirus installed.

Bond007

I have been using it for a while as well. Glad to see it remaining a decent option for those that want to use the EASY button.