What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows Explorer Crashing, CPU Usage Going Crazy, Need Help!

mlauzon

Banned
Over the last couple of months, and every few weeks of those months, Windows Explorer will freeze constantly even after restarting the app, CPU usage goes through the roof, and memory as well. I have no clue what's going on, or why it keeps happening. Right now the RAM is almost at 3GB, but I've got Chrome & IE running, however, that doesn't seem to matter, as I've got 6GB. But, even when Chrome isn't running alongside IE, the RAM usage still shoots through the roof.

LaughingCrow

Website
moz.execulink.net
In your Task Manager window at the bottom, you can see there's a button for "Resource Monitor" and see what else is eating up CPU cycles (memory, disk, etc.)
or to just open Resource Monitor -->Start - type: "Resource Monitor" - check the CPU, memory, tabs etc.

Also try checking out Event Viewer to see if it gives you a Microsoft link for more info or if something else is conflicting
--> Start - type: "Event Viewer" wait for it to generate a report and click the "+" for 'Critical', 'Errors' & 'Warnings' to expand and to see if they provide additional info.

mlauzon

Banned
I have no idea what anything means in Event Viewer, but Windows is back to running normally again, like it was before it goes and does whatever it does.

LaughingCrow

Website
moz.execulink.net
using Event Viewer

Event Viewer is the application used to read all the various logs that Windows keeps on your system. You're likely to find more info on what problems you're having by viewing the Critical, Errors, or Warnings items listed. Since it's just a Viewer, you can't break anything just looking at the reports.

Run Event Viewer and give it time to collect data from the various logs --Event Viewer (local) selected
Click on the + sign next to Critical or Errors to expand and you'll see a list (see first image below - I don't have any Criticals listed, so I've expanded Errors and you can see there's an application error.

Double click on one them and you'll get more detailed information plus links to Microsoft's sites that may provide more info. Sometimes it doesn't.

Using Event Viewer
Using Event Viewer in Windows 7 and Vista - UnlockForUs

Attachments

mlauzon

Banned
I know how to use it, however, I don't know what anything in the app means, therefore it's actually useless for me to even open it.

tzetsin

when it happens again, fire up task manager, click on the Processes tab then click on the "memory" header so that its aligned most to least, and post a screenshot.

so it looks like this:
Capture2.PNG

PS: Use the "snipping tool" to cut screenshots off the screen and automatically save them as .jpg or .png. Its in the "accessories" folder of your start menu.

mlauzon

Banned
when it happens again, fire up task manager, click on the Processes tab then click on the "memory" header so that its aligned most to least, and post a screenshot.

so it looks like this:
View attachment 10543

PS: Use the "snipping tool" to cut screenshots off the screen and automatically save them as .jpg or .png. Its in the "accessories" folder of your start menu.
The funny thing is, none of the processes themselves -- except for SVCHOST.exe -- seem to get bigger, although IE does every now and then depending on how long I leave it open or if I've got a lot of tabs open. I have a feeling it's something to do with my motherboard. Last year a few months after I got it, a PCIe slot died, it would freeze on reboot and not POST after updating the BIOS, I'd have to power it off and then turn it back on and it would be fine. Over the last few weeks, one of the ethernet ports died.

I know where that is, I also know how to use it, and you don't need to go to the folder, you can just type it in and it'll pull it up.

mlauzon

Banned
Okay, so I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, as the problem started to happen today, once I uninstalled the aforementioned application the problem disappeared. Anyone have any ideas why that seems to have been behind the problem?

DCCV44.2223

Okay, so I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, as the problem started to happen today, once I uninstalled the aforementioned application the problem disappeared. Anyone have any ideas why that seems to have been behind the problem?
I've seen reports of MSE slowing down Explorer/Windows in situations where a folder has a large number of exe files or when dealing with large files (3-4GB+).

Standard reply from MSFT is to make sure that no other security software that scans files on access is installed, but other than that I've not seen any reliable workarounds.

mlauzon

Banned
I've seen reports of MSE slowing down Explorer/Windows in situations where a folder has a large number of exe files or when dealing with large files (3-4GB+).

Standard reply from MSFT is to make sure that no other security software that scans files on access is installed, but other than that I've not seen any reliable workarounds.
The thing is, I don't have any folders with multiple EXE, the biggest folder I have is on my D drive, which is the second of my two HDDs, and that is filled with movies. So, MSSE shouldn't really be having the problem, but the usage of the RAM just kept going up. As I said, I've uninstalled it when it started to happen and rebooted and the problem hasn't happened again...yet.

Latest posts

Twitter