What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows Update causes Blue Screen on some AMD systems

Dwayne

Just a heads up for those Gigabyte X570 owners. Seems like a windows update for AMD SCSI adaptor is a problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/n6x3qc
I noticed the reboot icon in my tray, had a look and saw it was a driver update and didn't think anything of it. Got the blue screen of death, as mentioned in the link, and it then rebooted into bios. BIOS wanted to be reset for some reason. Booted again, blue screen, and again blue screen. Thankfully that triggered the auto repair which removed the update and let me back in.

Since I have Win10 Pro I went into gpedit and disabled driver updates by Windows update as someone advised in the linked thread.

I can't imagine the panic this will cause the normal user.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
There's definitely something funky with the latest update. It auto pushed to my desktop yesterday and I thought I had a virus on my PC.

Installers, Uninstallers and even some programs (7zip for example) were closing themselves with no prompt or interaction. Force rollback and no issues.

I wouldn't update if you have the option.

edit: this was on my Asus x570-e

Mr. Friendly

There's definitely something funky with the latest update. It auto pushed to my desktop yesterday and I thought I had a virus on my PC.

Installers, Uninstallers and even some programs (7zip for example) were closing themselves with no prompt or interaction. Force rollback and no issues.

I wouldn't update if you have the option.

edit: this was on my Asus x570-e
yeah...because I'm remotely part of our work domain, IT has disabled / suspended updates...so I only do them manually.

Latest posts

Twitter