What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Windows Vista Activation Cracked Yet Again

G

"Another day, another Vista activation crack

It was just a week ago that Microsoft's Jim Allchin was talking about Windows Vista security and how the operating system would fend off attacks from malicious code and hackers. Allchin made no mention, however, of the recent successful attempts at cracking Windows Vista's activation scheme.

Earlier this month, pirates found a way to spoof Microsoft's Key Management Service (KMS) server using a VMware image. The software hack allowed pirates to run copies of Windows Vista Business and Enterprise for up to 180 days.

The folks over at Engadget have come across another exploit that allows users to permanently activate Windows Vista using crack files and some registry trickery. The TimeStop Vista cracks only works on 32-bit versions of Windows Vista, so those looking to crack 64-bit versions of the operating system may be out of luck.

The crack effectively stops the countdown times to mandatory Vista activation and freezes the countdown timer at 43,200 minutes (30 days). The countdown timer will not reduce any lower than 30 days.

The makers of the crack note at the bottom of their "instruction manual" that "This article is for educational and informational purpose only." Microsoft likely isn't taking too kindly to this latest activation breach and likely already has a team working to patch up the exploit.

Despite Microsoft’s best efforts to shut down this latest exploit, it does leave us wondering just how secure this new operating system if it can be poked at and prodded this early after release."

More @ DailyTech

Oh how I love M$:p

enaberif

ahhh sweet joy, I love how every product that MS has released they said it would be unbreakable and withing months the xbox was cracked, and XP, and the 360 and now Vista.

Makes you wonder about them don't it.

I personally think its pretty slick they keep getting this done to them, but I'm curious what will happen when it comes time to updating the system.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm guessing it'll work much the same way as the authentication for XP does.

You'll end up being able to run a hacked (or cracked) version but you'll have problems getting updates.

I'm not rushing to run vista anywise until I know that I can get around US DRM problems.

Latest posts