What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Winter Tires: And Why YOU Need Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacJunky

Standards are much easier to drive as well simply because of controlling the level of power to the drive wheels by slipping the clutch. I've also had my car stuck many many times in the snow and I've always got them out by myself. Oh my God! I'm like a towtruck!
Eh, I could have typed something more to display lack of seriousness on the last bit there about starting on hills.

My car has a manual transmission and I am certainly going to miss it. But do not get me wrong, I have been stuck a few times. Thankfully I have not yet been so stuck that I had to use my chain and cable puller.

The one thing I would certainly prefer with my car is not having an open diff. You just cannot put any power down with one-wheel-drive if one or both of your rear tires came to rest in an icy dip. But a light dusting of ashes will help to fix that and keep innocent little Clutchy happy.

Soultribunal

Staff member
And I am going to ask that we keep comments clear and concise. Not to the level I have seen it want to esclate too.

-ST

stoanee

Folding Team
Boy this thread went off the rails in a spectacular fashion! :haha:

Glad to see you are okay, if that damn road approach was not there it could have been a better outcome. That is one of my personal dreads, hitting on of those.

My 2 cents:

I drive ALOT.....in every type of weather Canada has, and all times of day and night. (I hate driving at night, I avoid it like the plague) The biggest factor I see in accidents is drivers skill and attention to changing road conditions, especially in the winter. Black ice, or whatever you want to call it, does exist and can be VERY hard to spot. When my trucks outside temp gauge is reading 5 degrees either way from zero and there is wind blowing across the highway, I am VERY attentive to the road surface. I slow down and put my diesel in 4 wheel drive...yes...on the highway as well! The amount of large trucks on the highway can affect conditions as well, sometimes they will leave a trail of ice in their tire tracks from all the crap dropping from their trailers etc.

If the road is clear, straight and I want to know what traction is like, I sometimes will slow down to a safe speed and hammer on the brakes to see if my tires slide. Doing so gives me some feedback on traction. You would be surprised what traction "dry and clean" road conditions really have sometimes. Road conditions can change dramatically in less than a kilometer, you really have to be on your toes and SLOW DOWN as a previous poster noted, especially if you are not sure.

Snow tires are not absolutely essential to winter driving but they are very important, they can give that extra little bit of control that may keep you out of a wreck. Sometimes 6 inches are the difference from hitting or missing something. All drivers are not created equal, some people can competently drive on rims and some people should not drive at all. What works for one person will not work for another.

When my wife and I were dating I would take her out on frozen lakes, icy parking lots and get her to give 'er! Braking, sliding, doughnuts, handbrake slides, powerdrifts! It is fun and educational! In the summer if I could find a gravel or sandpit we would go nuts there as well! I think the farm kids have the edge there as most of them got to drive the old cornbinder through the fields and get stuck in the slough at an early age. :haha: Knowing how a vehicle reacts is very helpful...

Sorry for rambling on....slow down and keep the shiney side up!

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Every time this topic comes up there is always a few "I am the offspring of Michael Schumaker and Danica Patrick and I don't need winter tires" people.

One day you will wish you had them.

Edit: Or maybe not. I hope you don't, but the old saying goes, "It is better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it".

Double edit! Especially you Perineum. Stay safe buddy! I'd hate to have your Mom too distraught to play my rusty trombone.

triple Edit!!! Do not google rusty trombone.

Addictedtokaos

Glad to hear the damage was only to the vehicle and nothing personal.

I personally am a Winter tire promoter. My first set where some crappy tire sale set which IMO is still better than your all season tires for traction and control in winter condition. I now have owned 3 sets of Nokian's over the past 6 years. 1 set for every vehicle I've own and have never thought twice about dropping $1000 for the chance it may have saved mine or someone else's life.

Im fairly confident that there was at least a couple times where I would have lost control due to weather and/or traffic but feel the tires saved me.

brewer265@

For people that live in areas where it doesn't snow a lot or do the odd trip north, i highly recommend the Nokian WRG2 Nokian WRG2. One of the few all-season tires rated for winter. They are excellent in all weather types. The last set i had lasted 4.5 years and never had a problem in the snow or ice.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Problem with the Bridgestone Blizzaks and other severe winter tires is they last about a month on dry pavement.

Brian@NCIX

NCIX System Builder
Can't believe there's a debate on whether or not Winter tires are necessary, even in Vancouver.

This city shuts down in about 3 seconds when the first snow flake hits the floor, with majority of the problem stemming from absolute ignorance and attitude (I drive really well, because my 4x4 grips like a mofo!). Drivers here believe it's not necessary to have winter tires during you know, winter.

Here's two major factors in why the Lower Mainland is the laughing stock of Canada when it comes to Winter.

1) AWD/4x4 does NOT increase your traction OR decrease braking distance, too often do I see lifted 4x4 trucks barreling down at 80km/hr, on streets that have fresh sleet, ice or a combination of everything terrible, then see them bashed up against the curb or in the ditch. This attitude also applies to the vast amounts of Land Rover's, BMW/Mercedes SUV running summer tires in absolute garbage conditions, simply because they believe the marketed "smart" AWD will save their asses when they're driving with the same mindset as if its 25c out with the sun shining.

2) Summer/All Seasons lose most if not, all compound integrity in 3c and under. The cheapest Ling Long winter tires will be better than your favourite Pirelli all seasons in icy mornings, or light snowfall. Winter tires are superior to all seasons, because they are designed to not be hard as rock at -5c, the tread patterns are designed to shovel snow, as opposed to pushing and compacting them. Stopping distance and traction are improved multiple folds with winter tires in winter conditions.

The typical attitude is blaming the city for not prepping the roads for winter, yet the resident themselves will run almost balding tires on front heavy vehicles and complain to the city why their drive way was not cleared in 30 seconds after snow fall.

Look at the Port Mann Bridge, 20 car pile up a week ago due to icy conditions, yet the city is being blamed for poor planning when they applied Salt brine the night before. I can guarantee you the cause of it all is drivers running balding all seasons believing no snow = clear conditions.

It's not just about accidents, it's also for those who do not properly prep their cars for winter, you are the reason why commutes on HWY 1 that should take 30 minutes, ends up at 4 hours because you're driving at 20km/hr on the passing lane thinking its OK. I commute from Richmond, and that one day of snowfall, I ended up being being stupid late for work because of intersections having left turners stuck, cars stuck on the side of the road, emergency workers trying to get that BMW 7 series out of the gentlemen's front yard, and a complete gong show happening on the high way.

I am a firm believer in winter tires, they make a night and day difference, and instill a whole lot more confidence driving in this city. If NCIX ever sold winter tires, I'd bundle them up with hard drives, and 3570k's.

/personal opinion & rant.

bojangles

I agree with Brian on this one. Winter tires will not save the day in all cases, but they have so many benefits. I bought winters for my G5 because I couldn't get up the slope of my cul-de-sac to my house in All-Seasons. As soon as I put winters on, no problem. I've since bought a pair for my Cruze.

Sure, having good driving skills is a must, but nobody can defeat the laws of physics when not in their favour, so if I can improve my odds with winter tires, I will gladly invest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts