What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WIP Tool Changer Printer Build

danmitch1

Where did you pick up that orbiter? I see one on triangle labs, but its got fans and shrouds the other is just parts to DIY it.. Im seriously considering getting one too but Im done printing my own.

lowfat

Staff member
Where did you pick up that orbiter? I see one on triangle labs, but its got fans and shrouds the other is just parts to DIY it.. Im seriously considering getting one too but Im done printing my own.
It can't really be printed as it needs some pretty precise gearing inside. Do you have an issue w/ your BMG? It probably won't be a huge upgrade.

You can find a list of sellers here.

I bought from Mellow since TL didn't have the stepper in stock which is kind of needed.

danmitch1

It can't really be printed as it needs some pretty precise gearing inside. Do you have an issue w/ your BMG? It probably won't be a huge upgrade.

You can find a list of sellers here.

I bought from Mellow since TL didn't have the stepper in stock which is kind of needed.
Im not really having issues with the BMG, its just not working out for my new hotend mount that has a aluminum bracket... Ill update my dragon mount thread with the details so as not to hijack your thread !

What do you think of this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002278201831.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.3.1708313aP76kcJ

Shows it as complete but then its not including the housing or something :p

lowfat

Staff member
Im not really having issues with the BMG, its just not working out for my new hotend mount that has a aluminum bracket... Ill update my dragon mount thread with the details so as not to hijack your thread !

What do you think of this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002278201831.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.3.1708313aP76kcJ

Shows it as complete but then its not including the housing or something :p

It doesn't come w/ the body or the bowden fitting. You'd need to print the body out of ABS as the tiny motor supposedly can get really hot. So maybe make sure you can print it before ordering.

lowfat

Staff member
Yeah, looking at the reviews, it seems like a major pain!
Just looked at mine some more. I don't think I'd personally want to print it. It would have a lot of supports needed internally and some of the walls are really thin. Personally I think its worth the extra $20 for the injection molded parts. It is really high quality.

danmitch1

I agree, plus a bit of peace of mind that everything is fitting as it should.. I dont know but when ever I get a bad print or artifacts, I cant help but think it has to do with my DiY BMG..

EDIT: @lowfat Btw, what kinda of pc are you using fusion 3d on? Is it just that fusion is bad at handling high poly models or? Ive got some projects with over 4 million polys and 3ds max handles it like a breeze

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
I agree, plus a bit of peace of mind that everything is fitting as it should.. I dont know but when ever I get a bad print or artifacts, I cant help but think it has to do with my DiY BMG..

EDIT: Btw, what kinda of pc are you using fusion 3d on? Is it just that fusion is bad at handling high poly models or? Ive got some projects with over 4 million polys and 3ds max handles it like a breeze
Like you imported an STL or something along those lines? It is terrible at modifying meshes like that.

But F360 doesn't perform great at all. Like doing anything w/ this rad I modelled pretty much brings it to its knees.

And then the electronics enclosure I posted earlier could take 30s+ just to select a face when i was close to finishing. But it is probably the best free parametric software to my knowledge.

danmitch1

Like you imported an STL or something along those lines? It is terrible at modifying meshes like that.

But F360 doesn't perform great at all. Like doing anything w/ this rad I modelled pretty much brings it to its knees.

And then the electronics enclosure I posted earlier could take 30s+ just to select a face when i was close to finishing. But it is probably the best free parametric software to my knowledge.
No just modeling from scratch.. (edited, didnt want to pollute your thread. just wanted to show a quick example :) )
I wonder why fusion is soo slow?
Im curious to know what the difference is between the 2.. Ill have to research...

Did you try printing the electronics enclosure yet?

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Did you try printing the electronics enclosure yet?
I couldn't print it since I would need to use my larger printer and I don't trust large prints until the parts come for the bed leveling sensor.

Anyways I had to redo it once I decided on the tool changer. I needed to add another control board. Thankfully Klipper allows to easily use multiple boards. Adding one of my old MKS SBase 1.3s. Now I'll be able to control up to 10 steppers, 4 hot ends, 2 heated beds, and 6 fans :rolleyes:. The Duet 2 Wifi will drive the X/Y/Z and 2 extruders. The MKS will drive the toolchanger, mill, and whatever else, maybe nozzle wipers?

1.JPG

2.JPG
This one is a lot bigger. 175mm x 350mm. So I had to split the tops / bottoms in half. Currently printing the first piece on the Prusa.

EDIT: This thing is going to be massive.
3.JPG
750mm or so high. 3/4" wood side panels. Those are concrete paving stones in the bottom to weight it down and reduce resonance.

Last edited: