What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

WIP Tool Changer Printer Build

danmitch1

I couldn't print it since I would need to use my larger printer and I don't trust large prints until the parts come for the bed leveling sensor.

Anyways I had to redo it once I decided on the tool changer. I needed to add another control board. Thankfully Klipper allows to easily use multiple boards. Adding one of my old MKS SBase 1.3s. Now I'll be able to control up to 10 steppers, 4 hot ends, 2 heated beds, and 6 fans :rolleyes:. The Duet 2 Wifi will drive the X/Y/Z and 2 extruders. The MKS will drive the toolchanger, mill, and whatever else, maybe nozzle wipers?

View attachment 31365

View attachment 31367
This one is a lot bigger. 175mm x 350mm. So I had to split the tops / bottoms in half. Currently printing the first piece on the Prusa.

EDIT: This thing is going to be massive.
View attachment 31368
750mm or so high. 3/4" wood side panels. Those are concrete paving stones in the bottom to weight it down and reduce resonance.
Ok hang on a sec, you can have multiple controller boards working in sync ?! That is really cool, is there a limit to how many boards? (just google it maaaan)

You are really making me want to convert mine into core xy now lol... that looks great.

Is there a reason you need 3/4" ply ? insulation? Just something you have on hand?

lowfat

Staff member
Ok hang on a sec, you can have multiple controller boards working in sync ?! That is really cool, is there a limit to how many boards? (just google it maaaan)

You are really making me want to convert mine into core xy now lol... that looks great.

Is there a reason you need 3/4" ply ? insulation? Just something you have on hand?
For insulation yes. But also to provide easily mounting for the electronics + spool holders. As well to reduce resonance. It is also way cheaper and easily to work with than acrylic.

See if you can find someone who has converted their Ender 5 to CoreXY. Just check over their design to make sure the Y belts are perfectly parallel to the Y motion.

lowfat

Staff member
The electronics enclosure. Printed a small adapter to fit the BTT SKR 1.4 Turbo instead of the MKS Sbase. See main 3DP thread on why this was done. :mad:
IMG_20210515_180514 (Large).jpgMVIMG_20210515_180553 (Large).jpg

Z axis is done. Waiting on completing the XY till the Gates 2GT belts show up. With a CoreXY if the belts and pulleys are not exactly parallel to the Y axis it can cause skewing. So I need to measure the diamater of the belts on the pulleys before continuing the model. Thought the models I downloaded were good enough but they seem wildly inaccurate between the smooth and toothed idlers. The extruder on the carriage is a placeholder just so I could measure placement of everything.

1.JPG

2.JPG

EDIT: Will mention that I can't figure out how to add a part cooling fan on my extruder w/o it being a massive carriage. So I went ahead and ordered a pair of 24V diaphragm air pumps, and some small tiny copper piping and will be doing a 'berd air' cooling setup.
For something like this
LqzbwDc.jpg

Last edited:

danmitch1

I love the idea for the air pumps! Will the pumps be installed off of the carriage, im assuming so? That will also remove the vibrations from the fan if so.. I believe my part fan is causing slight artifacts on my prints from the vibrations.. its pretty low quality.. I might steal this idea for my next mount.

lowfat

Staff member
Pumps are massive so definitely off carriage. Outside of enclosure too so the air is cooler.

Got my magnetic build plate from Aliexpress. Installed the magnet. Supposedly good to like 140C.

MVIMG_20210608_165554 (Large).jpg

The removable spring steel sheet w/ smooth PEI.
MVIMG_20210608_165547 (Large).jpg

And then the other side, powder coated PEI. Looks really good. Can't wait to print on this.
IMG_20210608_165530 (Large).jpg

Installed a 150C thermal fuse attached to the silicon heater incase the solid state relay fails open, or if the heated bed falls off the bed. Don't want to burn the house down. Also added a ground wire. Then a bunch of adhesive water heater insulation.
IMG_20210608_202504.jpg
Fat boi.
MVIMG_20210608_202523.jpg

AND restarting the design. Having motion above the printer bothered me. It would have been nearly impossible to enclose and still look good. And then I learned a bunch from the 'New Mini' coreXY I'm building right now. So going to fix some of the mistakes. Hopefully will do 3 extruders + the mill.

Frame is much bigger this time around. 350mm in clearance above the gantry to make room for all the cables. Bit wider now. Quite a bit deeper. And obviously much taller, just over 1 meter tall.
1.JPG

An XY motor mount. Pretty happy with this. Uses a cheap aluminum NEMA 17 mount from Ali to add rigidity to my printed parts. Will put a small bearing on top of the stepper shaft to hopefully reduce radial force on it.
3.JPG

danmitch1

Pumps are massive so definitely off carriage. Outside of enclosure too so the air is cooler.

Got my magnetic build plate from Aliexpress. Installed the magnet. Supposedly good to like 140C.

View attachment 31660

The removable spring steel sheet w/ smooth PEI.
View attachment 31661

And then the other side, powder coated PEI. Looks really good. Can't wait to print on this.
View attachment 31662

Installed a 150C thermal fuse attached to the silicon heater incase the solid state relay fails open, or if the heated bed falls off the bed. Don't want to burn the house down. Also added a ground wire. Then a bunch of adhesive water heater insulation.
View attachment 31664
Fat boi.
View attachment 31665

AND restarting the design. Having motion above the printer bothered me. It would have been nearly impossible to enclose and still look good. And then I learned a bunch from the 'New Mini' coreXY I'm building right now. So going to fix some of the mistakes. Hopefully will do 3 extruders + the mill.

Frame is much bigger this time around. 350mm in clearance above the gantry to make room for all the cables. Bit wider now. Quite a bit deeper. And obviously much taller, just over 1 meter tall.
View attachment 31663

An XY motor mount. Pretty happy with this. Uses a cheap aluminum NEMA 17 mount from Ali to add rigidity to my printed parts. Will put a small bearing on top of the stepper shaft to hopefully reduce radial force on it.
View attachment 31666
Sweeeet..... nice print bed!

Can you link the parts you bought for the air pump setup? Id like to see if I cant get something like that going too. 🙋‍♂️🙆‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited: