What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless connection problem.

Brinnie

I have some problems with connecting to my wireless network, it is an intermittent fault and one that is occuring randomly.
I have reasons to believe it could be fixed with a bit knowledge, to explain it better it would take a relatively lenghty post, would this be the right place to look for guidance?

Some relevant info:

ISP: TalkTalk (I tried their support already)
Wireless Router: EcholifeHG520s
Usb wireless Adapt: Huawei Wireless USB Adaptor 54Mb/s

Babrbarossa

You should write up a full query in Word, complete with a description of your full hardware setup- that way you can paste it into a few forums to better your chances of getting help and save you writing it out every time- it could be alot of different things doing it, and you need to provide mucho information for people to help (although I personally am no expert anyway)

Brinnie

I have 3 PCs at home, they are connected to each other via a NETGEAR network hub ( wired ) I 've had it for a long time it's
never given me any trouble.

The problem started when I joined TalkTalk, I 've got a wireless router and 3 USB wireless adapter.
I setup the network using their CD , following instructions. It was OK up to the point where the PCs were wired to the router, but
when trying to go wireless the problems started.
For my LAN I had assigned the IP address for each PC manually , I have done so for many years , I found it quicker and more
reliable.
However the TalkTalk setup software clearly said it couldn't proceed unless it was set to "Assign automatically", the thing is
it couldn't do it automatically , my conclusion was that there was a conflict between the LAN and the Wireless.
The obvious thing to do was to contact Tech Support , was I wrong or what, I'd have been better off seeing a priest asking for
Divine intervention.
Anyway no point getting into that, it was clear that I needed to solve the problem myself.
I browsed the net , found some info and with some trial and error I managed to set up so that :

for the LAN (netgear hub) manually assigned
IP 169.254.1.x
Subnet 255.255.0.0

for the Wireless (Echolife HG520s) manually assigned
IP 192.168.1.x
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Def Gateway 192.168.1.1
Pref DNS Serv 192.168.1.1

after that everything worked beautifully (for a while) I had no problems browsing the LAN or accessing the wireless
from any of the PCs.
I didn't need to disable the Netgear Lan in order to possibly connect to the wireless and when turning the Modem on I could
get connected to the net within a minute or nearly instantly if the modem was already on.
Needless to say I was quite pleased with myself.

Unfortunately a couple of month later things started to go wrong.
It began with very rarely and for no apparent reason one of the PCs couldn't connect to the wireless network , but that was easily
sorted by disabling and enabling the "Wireless Network Connection" from the network connections panel or by right clicking on
the icon chosing "Repair".
Unexplicably it steadily got worse , the fault manifested itself more often and the above actions weren't good enough to
fix it.

Other things that seemed to work were :

turn modem off/on
restart pc
unplug/plug wireless adapter
curse a lot

I think the above measures weren't actually helping (except cursing) it was just a coincidence that a connection would be
aquired at those times.

Now things are pretty bad .
To get one PC connected I need to disable the LAN just to take it out of the equation, set the wireless to "assign manually" which when it works takes for ever (5-10 min) if that fails, repair wait another (5-10 min), disable wait another (5-10 min)...
It looks like it is even harder to get connected if another PC is already connected. I took about 90 min. this morning , manually configured eventually.

--- --- ---

I think it is a Wireless connection fault only, not an internet connection one.
For instance at times my son could be on the net on his PC no problems , his mum on hers and mine could say
"couldn't connect to wireless network" - "no wireless network found".

I would be enormously grateful if someone could help me fix this problem.
Thanks in advance.

-.-.-.--.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

ISP: TalkTalk
Wireless Router: EcholifeHG520s
Usb wireless Adapt: Huawei Wireless USB Adaptor 54Mb/s

Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
Monitor Type : LG Electronics L194WT - 19 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2007)

-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-

Latest posts