What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless major slowdowns

sswilson

Staff member
Is there any chance you're using wireless phones in the household? How about one of those fancy dancy new wireless printers? Either one of those can adversly affect wireless connectivity / speeds.

Kilauea

We are using wireless phones in the households, but no wireless printers.
We have been using the wireless phones for a few years, hasn't changed anything for the Internet until recently and I still don't understand why it came back to normal after I did nothing but show the other other computers in the house to the case.

JD

Staff member
Maybe the restart of devices fixed it?

Also, 7Mbps (remember, lowercase b is BITS) is extremely minimal bandwidth. 802.11g is rated at 54Mbps, though of course you'd never see those numbers in real-world usage, but still, there's plenty of usable bandwidth.

Suffice to say, 802.11g and even 802.11b has plenty bandwidth to support your Internet connection, and the majority of people's Internet speeds in Canada.

Kilauea

Maybe the restart of devices fixed it?

Also, 7Mbps (remember, lowercase b is BITS) is extremely minimal bandwidth. 802.11g is rated at 54Mbps, though of course you'd never see those numbers in real-world usage, but still, there's plenty of usable bandwidth.

Suffice to say, 802.11g and even 802.11b has plenty bandwidth to support your Internet connection, and the majority of people's Internet speeds in Canada.
I don't know if the restart fixed anything since I did check right after the restart and it was utter :censored:. But then again its what triggered it to work, I am far from knowledgeable enough to say for sure.

Are you saying that my bandwidth isn't much (refering to having a slow connection ?) ?.
I believe my Internet connection is a 7.5mbps one.

LarkStarr

no he's saying in relation to wireless G class router speeds, most internet connections (including yours) are slow.

DCCV44.2223

Alright, I did a check up with inSSIDer, not sure what I am supposed to see, the signal strength is fairly constant between -55 and -50 dB m.
Looks like the restart fixed things?

With inSSIDer, you're checking for signal strength and other wireless access points nearby that's using the same channel.

Latest posts

Twitter