What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless networking woes - help please!

GregH

Hey all,

So we completed our epic relocation from AB to PEI and our moving truck showed up yesterday with all our stuff. Including my PC - woo!
I've always used an ethernet cable to connect, but that's not possible in the new place so I went and grabbed an ASUS AC56 USB wifi stick for my desktop since it had good reviews.

I've been fighting with it to get an internet connection for the past 2-3 hours without success.

All our cellphones and the laptop are able to connect and get internet access no problem, but no go on the desktop for some reason.

I can connect to the network just fine, and if I hover over the network icon it says "internet access" but I'm unable to connect to anything.
Since all the other devices can connect no problem I figure it's an issue specific to my PC rather than the network.

The wifi shows full bars, and all settings on the laptop are identical except obviously the IP address (one is .116, the other.117) but I doubt that's the issue.

When I hit "Diagnose" under the wifi diagnostics it reports the error "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."
I'm not really sure what that means or how to fix it.

Any ideas from the gurus here?

Cheers.

GregH

Tracert to Google

1 * 1449 ms 2181 ms 10.85.192.1

The next 4-5 all timed out then 7-10 returned results from 57 ms to 636 ms

I did try an ip release/renew as some troubleshooting sites recommended but it couldn't renew due to "media disconnected"

Edit: Weird, a website just randomly loaded for me after about 5 mins of trying. Cant get on to any others though

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
It's taking 2 seconds to talk to your wireless router, and timing out a lot.

I'd say two possibilities:

1) the routers wifi circuitry is dying. You can eliminate this if you have any phones/other wireless devices that work.
2) Bad drivers for the USB stick. My old Asus USB stick was very particular and the stock drivers sucked. I believe I found out who the chipset was made by, and downloaded them direct from that company.

Dwayne

Sounds like the wifi adapter is not getting the DNS info from the router, or it set something wrong. I presume you used a disk or USB stick to get the drivers installed? Next check would be the adapter settings in Networking panel to ensure that the IPv4 or 6 setting looks right. Drivers first though... then topology, then internet. Can you see other machines on the network, or a media server? Can they see you?

GregH

Hmm...it's not #1 as I'm typing this from the laptop which connected no problem.
I'll poke around on the asus site about drivers.

I am able to get on some web pages now, so that's progress, but it's taking forever to do so.

GregH

Sounds like the wifi adapter is not getting the DNS info from the router, or it set something wrong. I presume you used a disk or USB stick to get the drivers installed? Next check would be the adapter settings in Networking panel to ensure that the IPv4 or 6 setting looks right. Drivers first though... then topology, then internet. Can you see other machines on the network, or a media server? Can they see you?
Just plugged the stick in and win 10 detected it and installed drivers. There was a setup disc with it, but I read online that I should just let win 10 take care of the drivers.

Can't see any other machines on the network, nor can the laptop see my desktop.

Sagath

Staff member
I don't agree about the DNS. I do agree about the method of troubleshooting. Drivers/internal/external.

There is a problem with communication in general. A first hop shouldn't take 1.5 seconds

Twitter