What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless or Powerline Ethernet

lcdguy

Folding Team
if it were me i would have run cat6 every where when possible. However due to the cost and restrictions on my home i used cat5e ft-6 for the vertical runs to my second floor and ft-4 cat 6 everywhere else. MUCH better than the MOCA device and is worth the effort in the long run.

CasheKicker

I just hooked this up today, Unifi | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. it does a pretty good job. Excellent interface for easy setup, security settings, multiple accounts,ie. Guest Account with restrictions, and uses MIMO technology. Being salable it is awesome for larger homes. I just hooked it up tonight and am still testing but so far I really like it.

bostonkikiki

I use powerline for about a year, no major issues with it, except sometimes my connection sets itselft to "limited", so i have to reset the device plugged in the wall (brand : Devolo)...

igot6strings

Powerline is the way to go. Faster and cheaper. Yes it is cheaper. A set can be found for $50 on sale at any retailer at any time. Wifi is garbage unless you have a good wifi card/dongle and a good wifi router. Both of which cost at least as much as a Powerline Ethernet Adapter set on sale.
The only issue with Powerline Ethernet that you may encounter is when using them power bars/surge protectors. Although personally this doesn't affect my set I have heard it can severally hurt ping and speed when used on certain bars. I use a belkin power bar. Nothing special but not one of their cheaper ones either.

I highly recommend powerline eithernet for many reasons, cost, speed and ease of installation to sum it up.

Latest posts