What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless router, G vs. N

Matty D

I just got a new laptop and a Linksys wrt54g router. The router was a bit of an after thought on my part and now that I have done a bit more research I'm going to exchange if. My problem is what to replace it with?

If I stay with 802.11g I'm going to simply get the wrt54gl as it seems to be very popular, reliable and has good firmware support.

However if I can grab a good 802.11N version 2.0 router would it not be a good choice? I just don't understand it all yet. Will my laptop gain anything from going with an N router if its internal card is only a G? I know I can purchase an N card in the future but that is not in the current budget. I would just hate to miss the boat on the N technology. My budget is $100 Cad though so that might eliminate the N routers. Thoughts and opinions?

enaberif

I just got a new laptop and a Linksys wrt54g router. The router was a bit of an after thought on my part and now that I have done a bit more research I'm going to exchange if. My problem is what to replace it with?

If I stay with 802.11g I'm going to simply get the wrt54gl as it seems to be very popular, reliable and has good firmware support.

However if I can grab a good 802.11N version 2.0 router would it not be a good choice? I just don't understand it all yet. Will my laptop gain anything from going with an N router if its internal card is only a G? I know I can purchase an N card in the future but that is not in the current budget. I would just hate to miss the boat on the N technology. My budget is $100 Cad though so that might eliminate the N routers. Thoughts and opinions?

N > G ; But N is not final yet so you take a gamble with any hardware right now that is N as it may not be compatible with final N products.

Stick with G as most people don't need more than that.

Matty D

Thanks enaberif. I don't think I can find a decent N router for $100 (actually just one and it has some poor reviews) I think that the G router will be fine for now. Thanks again.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I just replied in your other thread, telling you to use the N model - I taught that you already had it. If you don't, stick with the G model.

Also most Laptops are not compatible with the N models; you would need to add an external N card.

Matty D

Thanks Charlie. I will be sticking with the 802.11G for now as my budget can't handle everthying to go N yet. I would like to go N to have the best but G may be enough for most of my needs.

Jmac

N > G ; But N is not final yet so you take a gamble with any hardware right now that is N as it may not be compatible with final N products.

Stick with G as most people don't need more than that.
Pretty much any Draft N v2.0 product will be compatible w/ the final N standard w/ a firmware upgrade/driver update ...

Latest posts