What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wireless woes :(

no_pulse

My g/f won a free Dell Ispiron Mini from work, and for the life of me I can not get it to connect to the internet via WiFi. All my other computers and wireless devices have no problem connecting to my wireless router. My g/f's Dell Ispiron Mini has no problem finding and establishing a connection to the wireless router, but once it does, I get the msg "limited or no connection" in the wireless status. It seems the WiFi card can not get an IP address for some reason.

I do have wireless MAC address filtering set up on my wireless router, and I did add the wireless NIC MAC address correctly into the router.

My Router is a Belkin N Wireless Router

Here is my set up:

my pc is wired to the router. and I also have a Belkin Wireless N+ USB Adapter so I can access my WiFi robot through my pc

my g/f's pc is wired to the router

my sisters pc is wired to the router

my brother-in-laws laptop is connected through wifi to the router

my neices ipod touch is connected through wifi to the router

my robot is connected through wifi to the router.

I've had no issues before trying to get a wireless device connected to the wireless router. Hell even my neices iPod touch connected to the wireless router flawlessly and she was able to browse the internet without any issues. Same thing with my WiFi robot, it found my wireless router and I was able to control it through WiFi on my computer with no issues. But for some reason or another, I can not get my g/f's Dell Ispiron Mini to connect to the internet. As I've said before, it finds the wireless network and will connect to it, but it doesn't give the WiFi NIC an IP address for some reason.
My wireless network is not broadcasted and has an encryption key to log into it, and it find the network without a problem when I manually input the name and encryption key. And I have all the latest drivers installed as well. And I even disabled the Ethernet (wired) NIC card jsut in case it was having a conflict with the WiFi NIC.

I even went out and bought a USB wireless adapter thinking the internal wireless card was the problem. Nope. Even with the USB wireless adapter, it will connect but it will not assign an IP address to the adapter.

Are there only a certain amount of devices allowed to connect to the router? On the router, I have the IP address lease set to forever.

Can someone please help me?

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I can't believe you missed the obvious.
Get a new girlfriend!
I kid.
First things first, turn off the encryption on the router. open it up, see if it works.
If so, your GF's may not support your encryption, or your router may be set to an encryption your gf's does not support.
Let us know.

no_pulse

I'm glad I posted on here, I got no love from the Dell forums. Squeetard I could kiss you! I did exactly everything you suggested and presto I could connect to through WiFi. So I decided to leave off the MAC filters and try enabling the encryption again, and it connected. Turns out I'm a tard! I entered the MAC address into the wireless MAC address filter on the router....BUT.....I forgot to also enter the MAC address to the firewall MAC address filter :doh:

So with the encryption enabled and both MAC address filters enter correctly, my g/f's gay ass...er I mean lovely netbook connects to the WiFi perfectly. If it wasn't for you suggesting to turn off the filters and encryption, I wouldn't have realized how retarded I was for not entering the MAC address on the firewall filter on the router as well. :) And you saved me $80. I can take back the USB WiFi adapter :)

Its funny how they give you recovery cd's for the netbook, yet it doesn't come with a cd/dvd rom lol.

Anyways thank you very much Squeetard :)