What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wiring a 4 gang electrical box

blaze_125

I about to wire the location where all my home theater stuff will reside. I want to avoid using power bars and plan on simply having many outlets in a gang box.

I'd like to have 4 receptacles, giving me 8 outlets.
First and foremost, is it against code to have such a setup?
Second, is the attached image the proper way to wire it?

To go in something like this
BC2104LLE4_4.jpg

Attachments

• 4gangWiring.jpg
    4gangWiring.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

BlueByte

When I wired my house I don't remember any code saying you could not do what you wanted above other then a limit of 10 or 12 devices on each breaker. There is a limit on marettes and wires within a box, but a 4 gang box can already take the max number you would possibly want.

I bought a $14 book from my local home hardware for doing your own electrical, and it sucked for anything other then the norm. But it does have tables etc for this kind of stuff. I was anal, and basically I dont want my house to burn down because of my stupidity...

If you want I can dig the book up and get the limits listed in it. But I dont see an issue with that.

Arinoth

Staff member
Is there any reason you don't want a surge protector? You do know if you get a power spike, say from a lightning strike, whatever's plugged in will have a higher then normal chance to be fried then say behind a surge protector. Warranties and home owner insurance 99% of the time won't cover the cost to repair/replace them

BlueByte

You can get serge protected breakers that do the same thing if you want to keep it clean.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
My UPS saved my entire setup during a surge this winter, fried a fast rectifier diode in the UPS in the process, but a 2 dollar diode is a small price to pay when it could have fried everything, and I don't know if anyones taken an LCD TV apart, but there is a LOT of freaking screws holding one of those together - a friends TV that obviously had no protection, fried a diode in the power supply - at least I hope it's just the one... Digikey really procrastinated sending these and I want this thing out of my living room.

dustin1706

Your diagram is correct, but remember that you only get 15A off of one standard breaker. If you are already running wires I would run off of two breakers and feed 2 receptacles off of each breaker.

But, a UPS is a better idea if you can stand the mess of cords.

Latest posts