What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wiring Woes! New to Wiring. Need Help!!!

JoeOnePack

Banned
Hey guys,

I am nearing the end of my build, but have run into a knowledge wall. I have never done wiring before and am unsure where best to install the wires.

Here is a rundown with pictures of what is going on and what I want to do. The 600T I'm using has a fan controller for 4 fans. I will be hooking up the front 200mm fan and rear 120mm fan to it. (I think)

I want to hook up the push/pull fans together if possible. I don't care if every fan in this case runs on full speed all the time. I plan on getting a fan controller down the road, but for now what I have will do.

The wires shown here come from 3 Yate Loon blue LED fans running in push mode for the radiator. Each fan has a 3 pin connector and a double 4pin molex. I have no idea where this goes or what to connect it to.
img0649u.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

This is the front 200mm fan with a 3 pin connector.
img0651gb.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

Here are the 3 pull fans for the radiator. All 3 have 3 pin connectors only.
img0650xk.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

This is the cable I got with my gtx 670. I purchased 2 6pin sleeved cables for it not realizing it taked a 6 & 8 pin connector. I installed the 6 pin fine. This cable though goes from 8pin to a double molex? Is this the right cable?
img0653prl.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

Here are the molex cables I got with my Corsair PSU. There are two seperate cables. Each cable as 4 molex connectors and 1 8pin connector.
img0655m.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

Last but not least is the double LED wire for the XSPC Raystorm CPU Block. It's connect to a 4pin molex.
img0657o.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

Here is the where I am at right now with wiring.
img0652i.jpg

By kyle87t at 2012-06-07

I know this stuff is easy for you guys, but I am brand new to this and don't want to blow up my pc. Any input would be welcome.

Dzzope

As far as the fans go... 3 pins are usually used on a controller or off a header on the mobo.. if they have molex then it is for control rather than power
The 2 molex connections are so that you can chain 1 molex connection from the PSU into multiple devices.

the 670 has 6+8?? What 670 is that? I have a Asus DCII and it's 6+6.. card model please?

The molex cables that came with the psu... I take it that you have a modular PSU?
Read the manual to see what kind of connector it is but you should find that the 8 pin goes into the psu..
apart from fans etc you will probably find nothing to use these for and they can be left out in your spare stuff box.

I don't know what your asking with the led thing..
Plug it into a molex connector and your done by the looks of it.
Other than that I'm not familiar with it.

Some manuals are good.. others are not.. I would hope that all of them would at least give you a good idea of what each thing is for
(though if you have limited experience then deciphering them can be a problem)

JoeOnePack

Banned
Hey Dzzope,

Thank you for your input.

Let's say I want to power the Yate Loon's, but not control fan speed. Do I just plug in the molex cable? I dont get though why each fan as two molex connectors. I need to plug them both in to power them?

It seems that I will not have enough molex connectors to connect all of my 8 fans. What do I need in order to do so?

The 670 is the Gigabyte Windforce OC version. I'm looking at the video card now. One 6pin and an 8pin on it.

I'm using a Corsair AX850 PSU.

The LED I figured was just a straight plug in, but like I said I am running out of molex connectors. I don't think I can plug all my fans plus the LED. Do I need some sort of splitter?

As far as the fans go... 3 pins are usually used on a controller or off a header on the mobo.. if they have molex then it is for control rather than power
The 2 molex connections are so that you can chain 1 molex connection from the PSU into multiple devices.

the 670 has 6+8?? What 670 is that? I have a Asus DCII and it's 6+6.. card model please?

The molex cables that came with the psu... I take it that you have a modular PSU?
Read the manual to see what kind of connector it is but you should find that the 8 pin goes into the psu..
apart from fans etc you will probably find nothing to use these for and they can be left out in your spare stuff box.

I don't know what your asking with the led thing..
Plug it into a molex connector and your done by the looks of it.
Other than that I'm not familiar with it.

Some manuals are good.. others are not.. I would hope that all of them would at least give you a good idea of what each thing is for
(though if you have limited experience then deciphering them can be a problem)

JD

Staff member
Those Yate Loon fans, if you look, one molex is female and one molex is male. It's done like that so you can daisy-chain the connectors together. You should only need a single molex off your PSU (female) to power the 1st Yate Loon fan (male). The other fan (male) can be plugged into the 1st fan (female) and so on.

You could plug the LEDs into the last fan as well if the wiring is in an ideal location.

JoeOnePack

Banned
Those Yate Loon fans, if you look, one molex is female and one molex is male. It's done like that so you can daisy-chain the connectors together. You should only need a single molex off your PSU (female) to power the 1st Yate Loon fan (male). The other fan (male) can be plugged into the 1st fan (female) and so on.

You could plug the LEDs into the last fan as well if the wiring is in an ideal location.

Ok so, the molex is for power and the 3 pin is for fan control? The Gentle Typhoon's in pull only have 3 pin connectors along with the front 200mm fan. What happens when I run out of 3pin ports on the mobo? Where do I power the rest of the fans?

JD

Staff member
Ok so, the molex is for power and the 3 pin is for fan control? The Gentle Typhoon's in pull only have 3 pin connectors along with the front 200mm fan. What happens when I run out of 3pin ports on the mobo? Where do I power the rest of the fans?
On the Yate Loons, yes. The 3pin is not needed unless you want to know what the RPM is of the fan.

For the Gentle Typhoons, they should of came with 3pin to molex adapters. You can use those. You could also plug them into the case's fan controller.

Also your PSU should have an 8pin PCIe. Do not use that molex adapter.

Dzzope

3 pin is power and control on most fans (or at least fans with only the 3 pin)

p.s. on the gpu power.
isn't there at least 2 X 6+2pin (you can use them as 6 or 8 pin connectors) gpu connectors from the PSU?
With a modern PSU you really shouldn't have to use molex adapters for a single card.

JoeOnePack

Banned
On the Yate Loons, yes. The 3pin is not needed unless you want to know what the RPM is of the fan.

For the Gentle Typhoons, they should of came with 3pin to molex adapters. You can use those. You could also plug them into the case's fan controller.

Also your PSU should have an 8pin PCIe. Do not use that molex adapter.

I bought the gentle typhoons used, so there were no adapters unfortunately.

I seem to be confused about daisy chaining the fans. I just tried (I guess not very hard).

I put #1 fan male molex into PSU cable female molex. I then put #1 fan female molex into #2 fan male molex.

From here I am confused because all four molex connectors on the PSU cable are female only. How do I continue the daisy chain?

Do both molex connectors on each fan need to be connected in order to function?

3 pin is power and control on most fans (or at least fans with only the 3 pin)

p.s. on the gpu power.
isn't there at least 2 X 6+2pin (you can use them as 6 or 8 pin connectors) gpu connectors from the PSU?
With a modern PSU you really shouldn't have to use molex adapters for a single card.

You are correct about the connectors from the PSU. Now I know I can use that at least until the proper the braided cable arrives. :D

Dzzope

I put #1 fan male molex into PSU cable female molex. I then put #1 fan female molex into #2 fan male molex.

From here I am confused because all four molex connectors on the PSU cable are female only. How do I continue the daisy chain?

Do both molex connectors on each fan need to be connected in order to function?

you don't need to complete a circuit... molex -> fan -> fan, and when you have enough on, then stop..

The second connector is only to allow you to connect extra devices precisely for the reasons of you'd run out otherwise, you do not have to plug it into anything to make it work..

Latest posts