What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery Woe is me v.tapping

lowfat

Staff member
1. Get new motherboard.

2.No backplate. CPU block has no backplate.

3. Find super old AM2 backplate from some Noctua heatsink I once had.

4. Not meant for M4 screws. Bring out the trusty tap.

5. Break trusty tap. And of course it breaks with pointy ends at each side. Making it damn near impossible to drill out. :sad:

enaberif

You would have been better to drill out the existing threads and then re-tap.

But I also don't see any oil so it makes me wonder.. did you use tapping oil? :p

lowfat

Staff member
You would have been better to drill out the existing threads and then re-tap.

But I also don't see any oil so it makes me wonder.. did you use tapping oil? :p

Ya as soon as it broke I realized I should have drilled it out a bit bigger first. And tapping oil you say? Never heard of the stuff. :biggrin:

enaberif

Ya as soon as it broke I realized I should have drilled it out a bit bigger first. And tapping oil you say? Never heard of the stuff. :biggrin:

Anything really will work.. I usually use that 3m oil you can find in those little cans.. its just to help lubricate the bit and keep it from binding up.

Also do you constantly try to go through or do you try and back it off and then keep going?

lowfat

Staff member
I was just going straight through, not back and forth. :sad:

I went and bought a replacement bit and was able to do one of the other ones easily enough after drilling it out. I'll guess I'll swing by Canadian Tire afterwards and find me some lube.

enaberif

Lube and back and forth. You want to feel just a small amount of pressure when tapping in and then back off a little bit and keep going. Using the lube will help too.

Toyoracer

Lube and back and forth. You want to feel just a small amount of pressure

:rofl: could not say it better

lowfat drilling a tap will be almost impossible as they are hardend. If you can get 2 sewing needles in the flutes and use pliers to try and backout tap, good luck :biggrin:

lowfat

Staff member
lowfat drilling a tap will be almost impossible as they are hardend. If you can get 2 sewing needles in the flutes and use pliers to try and backout tap, good luck :biggrin:

Yup. Not having much luck getting it out. Doing more damage to the backplate than good. Probably just going to end up ordering an EK backplate. It should still work w/ my XSPC Rasa.

BrainEater

Haha , that'll learn ya !

Start by cleaning out the flutes , this might take a while....then insert a small nail or something into each flute , then attempt to extract with vise grips.

Doesnt always work , but it's worth a shot.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Twitter