What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Worth swapping in more efficient PSU?

sswilson

Staff member
I've got a system running 24/7 that's drawing under 200W. It's currently running on a Corsair CV650 650W 80+ Bronze PSU, but I grabbed one of the 550W Seasonic SSR-550FM 80+ Gold PSUs from the recent sale as a household spare.

Would it be worthwhile swapping the 550W one in? Not only is it a higher efficiency PSU, I suspect a 200W draw would be more in line with the max efficiency of a 550W PSU than it would be of a 650W.

Thoughts?

gingerbee

it all depends on the efficiency rating of those PSU at the power draw you using. you know its different for every PSU I don't know what those units power efficiency curve is like, I myself have always gone with Seasonic but that's just to my liking

Izerous

Folding Team

Make a copy and fill in more accurately if necessary but the difference in efficiency from going from like 30% load to 33% load is pretty much irrelivant i think.

I randomly entered $0.07/kWh i don't recall what the current rates are

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.07.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.07.42 PM.png
    99 KB · Views: 7

JD

Staff member
Seems silly to leave a Gold PSU on the shelf and keep running a Bronze. Plus with age, I'd imagine a PSU becomes less efficient?

And wow, power is that cheap in Alberta? Our off-peak is 8.2c in Toronto and doubled to 17c at peak.

Bond007

I wouldn’t say it’s worth buying a higher tier psu to swap in, but if you already have it, then absolutely! Sell the old one.

sswilson

Staff member
Seems silly to leave a Gold PSU on the shelf and keep running a Bronze. Plus with age, I'd imagine a PSU becomes less efficient?

And wow, power is that cheap in Alberta? Our off-peak is 8.2c in Toronto and doubled to 17c at peak.

We don't have tiered KW/h in NB so it's a flat 11.38c.

I'll punch in the numbers tomorrow, but yeah I'm inclined to swap it out since I have both on hand.

Izerous

Folding Team
No tiered power and the last couple bills have been higher but i'm pretty sure during the summer I was looking at 7-8c/kWh I think we are closer to 12c right now but my wife handles the monthly bills so we can note it for the rental etc.

Valkyrie

Probably a little over a couple of bucks a month for 200 Watts 24/7 difference between 90% and 80% efficient PSU's based on $0.11 KWh. Efficiency is highest in the midrange and lowest at the bottom end as I'm sure you know.

sswilson

Staff member
Probably a little over a couple of bucks a month for 200 Watts 24/7 difference between 90% and 80% efficient PSU's based on $0.11 KWh. Efficiency is highest in the midrange and lowest at the bottom end as I'm sure you know.

Heh... $2 is $2....... :)

And yeah, because of the relatively low power draw, I was already leaning towards the efficiency curve possibly being a bigger deal than the gold vs bronze rating. Now that I've had a second look at the PC's config, I'm realising that it's probably closer to 130/140W than 200 so maybe I should source a 400W PSU. :)

Either way, I did the swap this morning and everything is back up and running.

Valkyrie

Heh... $2 is $2....... :)

And yeah, because of the relatively low power draw, I was already leaning towards the efficiency curve possibly being a bigger deal than the gold vs bronze rating. Now that I've had a second look at the PC's config, I'm realising that it's probably closer to 130/140W than 200 so maybe I should source a 400W PSU. :)

Either way, I did the swap this morning and everything is back up and running.
Don't blow your savings on another PSU...unless you really want to..:)

Latest posts