What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Worth upgrading? aspire E1-531

jalmir

So my wife is using a Acer Aspire E1-531 ...

The thing is getting slow but I personally don't think buying a new laptop is worth it since she only use it for web browsing and the occasional Skype.

I was thinking of getting a I5 G2 socket, a 24xxM or 25xxM, those can be found for 30-40$ and get a cheap 240GGB SSD to replace the 320GB sloppy HDD ...

That should be less than 150$ but I see the SSD more as an investment since I can always pull it out and use it on a future build.

Thoughts???

EDIT : Forgot to mention the CPU is a B820 @ 1.7GHZ

Bond007

For her uses there isn't much point in getting a new laptop if the current one is running alright. An ssd will massively speed it up. As for the CPU it could be worth it if you are finding it CPU limited at times, and you know it is supported and has the same tdp. How much ram is in it?

If it was mine I would do one upgrade at a time until I was content...first ssd, then ram to 8gb (if not already), then CPU as a last point. I suspect with those uses the ssd will be enough unless it has <4gb ram.

jalmir

it already has 8GB, upgraded that 1 year after the purchase, this thing is almost 3 years old and for a laptop that was only 300CAD it's has served VERY well, that's why I'm considering the upgrades!

I was thinking CPU because sometimes the damn thing will just hang for no reason (not freeze though, just the "loading circle of wait"), I'm guessing that getting a SSD will actually point out if the CPU is to blame or not, and the CPU isn't an expensive upgrade anyway!

Thanks for the advices!

Latest posts

Twitter