What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Wowww you can change mobo without reformatting on windows 7!!

Ironmonk

Hello there,

I just swapped my motherboard CPU and memory(P5Q Pro, E8400) for a core i7-860 on a P7P55D motherboard.

I boot the comp and windows 7 runs smoothly, updates some drivers and thats it!!!!

I can hardly believe it.

Would you suggest a reformat or would it be safe to run it like this?

Thanks!

encorp

Yeah it's almost always been tied to the HDD with Windows.

I'd still reformat.

Perineum

I've done it successfully dozens of times, it works just fine. Vista was fine too.

Just go through add/remove programs and remove software for the old MB.

botat29

Do it all the time. Just don't forget to setup the AHCI in the bios of the new board if you are using a SSD.... don't ask how I know it.....

chrisk

Folding Captain
Smooth driver installs, especially on a mobo, are the foundation of a solid system IMO. Just to make myself feel better, I always do a reformat when changing the mobo, even if its possible to do without.

boggtrotter59

I find swapping mobo's without reformating works good as long as the chipset is the same... have done this numerous times without issue ( I just reinstall the latest chipset and vidcard drivers). Even if the chipset isn't the same it seems to work better with Intel chipsets... With that said.... it's ALWAYS better to reformat and do a clean install...

JD

Staff member
Since it's Intel to Intel, probably no major difference in reformatting. Intel stuff basically all use the same driver set.

It's good practice to reformat though, but in most cases (unless moving from Intel to AMD or vice versa) you probably don't HAVE to.

Latest posts