What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Want to Buy WTB: Older GPU's for folding

mattydies

I am building my first rig to be a SPACE HEATER which also happens to perform medical research such a F@H. I aim to run them 24/7. I should clarify it will be a heater this fall but by spring I will mount a radiator outside the house and pump the coolant there in the summer - like central A/C - dump the heat outside when its hot out, reroute coolant to indoor radiator when temps drop.

I figure the 'heating efficiency' of an aggressively cooled PC should rival or surpass a modest or subpar electric heater and as a side effect "FREE" medical research. So if you would like your (not too) old GPU to run 24/7 doing medical research for the foreseeable future PLEASE contact me about a sale. I would TREMENDOUSLY prefer cards with a liquid cooler I can patch into my Car radiators. However I am open to air cooled cards too. I am starting with one rid but would like to build more.

I have a pair of 290x's (bought new in 2013) on water, just bought a pair of nVidia K1 server GPU's, and have 3 more open slots before building a second rig.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• rig 1.jpg
    rig 1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 20
  • rig 2.jpg
    rig 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
  • rig 3.jpg
    rig 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 20

mattydies

Perhaps.... Maybe a used shroud - but I think I might lean towards making one from metal. The radiator was used as a replacement for a broken one in my Nissan S12 - used only 6 months before scrapping the car. The rad sat in storage for over 10 years before I used it. Unfortunately the input and output are both on the same side. So I STRONGLY suspect most of the water flows through the first few tubes. I focused air flow on that front portion as the back 3/4 likely has very little water flow. The remaining 3/4s may not flow much but it does conduct and radiate some heat - so it is still advantageous. However the next rad will go in one side and out the other to maximize rad efficiency. Also it will have more capable fan/fans.

She ran VERY cool with very minimal fan flow.

Latest posts

Twitter