What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

x570 motherboard and nvme speed question

On2wheels

I built this system last week, Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 x570 motherboard, and a cheap nvme drive to boot from. On the motherboard it was printed "PCIe gen4 x4" beside this one slot where I'm pointing, but not by other slot lower in the picture. Does that mean only the one slot is rated for higher speeds? it was the one I used anyway but it's directly under the gpu now so I hope heat isn't going to be an issue.

1571772673630.png

Secondly, I stuck on this think metal plate that came with the nvme drive, was that heatsink?
1571772767029.png

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The specs on that board say that both M2 slots are PCI-E Gen 4x4. And yes, that metal thing is a heatsink. Many NVM-e drives run hot.

JD

Staff member
With ASRock boards, any of the slots that say "Hyper M.2" or "Ultra M.2" on them are PCIe x4.

You might want to move it down to the other slot, since as you said, that's under your GPU and it's going to get pretty warm and likely no airflow.

gingerbee

I think the only difference is the top nvme might link right to the CPU and the lower one to the chipset. I think don't know this for sure