What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

X58 refresh problems

Peanut_316

Hey guys

I'm new to the Forums.... I've recently upgraded my hardware back in November. Had this same problem before the upgrade....most people say its the heatsink to tight and bend pins, i checked those before i refeshed it no bend pins and H70 cooler isnt on too tight,

Board is px58d-e using I7-950, 24gb 1600mhz DDR3 HyperX, Cooler is H70 new SP120 fans

Before upgrade i was using the XSPC raystorm water block, NB-SB and chipset blocks by EKWB.

So...here is my problem...

The PC turns on as normal but in the normallity the PC reboots 3 times..yes..3..times...on off on off then post fine.

There's also another problem too board isnt seeing the 24gb of ram there all MATCHED Tri-channel by kingston. the problem occured after i did some OCing OCed the chip to 4.0ghz stable clock..but my 24gb was now 16gb....

i've put the xmp profile on and did 9-9-9-24 like my Ram is 1600mhz still no 24gb....

I did all the tests that most people would do..take the ram out reseat it..ive booted the PC 1-4gb stick in each slots all show 4gb each 6 six's....yes...i know a pain.

Some people say bad psu..board had my AX1200 on it now my x99 has that psu...atm the x58 using TX650 corsair..

Refresh build is Case - S340, p6x58d-e, 24gb ram, h70 cooler, 120 force3 newest firmware, 2tb seagate and tx650 psu.

Any Help on the 3 boots would be appreciated. or im gonna have it R.I.P the P6X58D-E :(

thx
Peanut_316

sswilson

Staff member
What you haven't mentioned is if you did a cmos reset after each hardware change during the troubleshooting attempts.

In my experience, 3 boots indicates that mem settings aren't correct (more than likely secondary settings) and it's rebooting in an attempt to automatically reset them. Try it with a single bank of tri-channel mem to ensure that you can see 12G mem (don't forget to do a cmos reset / reboot) and if that works you can try bumping the northbridge voltage up a tad prior to attempting the second tri-channel bank.

Another possibility for it not picking up the mem settings would be a dead / weak cmos battery. Try replacing that.

Cptn Vortex

Whenever I have RAM issues like that... it is usually because I forgot a mobo standoff where it shouldnt be lol... Take the board out of the case and see if it boots with all the RAM. And double check to make sure there are no standoff's where they shouldnt be!

I also agree, you may need a small Northbridge voltage boost, or maybe just a step up on your DDR voltage.

Peanut_316

hey guys

Thanks for the quick responses.....atm trying 1 set of tri-channel memory only reads 8gb....still 3 posts.....asus did do a BIOS update awhile ago about rechecking memory....maybe i have a wonky BIOS....ill try that next...
also atm the 3 sticks board posts but no signal to monitor....maybe she's dying after all and i cant seem to let the x58 go...... :(

Sleep time then trouble shooting in morning.

Bond007

hey guys

Thanks for the quick responses.....atm trying 1 set of tri-channel memory only reads 8gb....still 3 posts.....asus did do a BIOS update awhile ago about rechecking memory....maybe i have a wonky BIOS....ill try that next...
also atm the 3 sticks board posts but no signal to monitor....maybe she's dying after all and i cant seem to let the x58 go...... :(

Sleep time then trouble shooting in morning.

Did you try dropping the ram freq yet?

Hooded

If all you can only see is 8gb of your 24gb of ram then try running your ram at 1066. Try booting while only having 1 stick installed. If you get multiple restarts then try another stick of ram. Do this 1 at a time and do it @ 1066 not 1333. Do this until your machine starts on first boot. If none work then try flashing your bios with Asus's latest version for your board. I'm running bios version 1501 11/11/11 on my P6X58D-E and my P6X58D Premium boards both with 24gb of ram installed running @ 1600

clshades

each ram module in each ram slot to make sure all the slots work and modules work too. Set the voltage manually and lower the frequency. Before you waste any time doing anything update the bios and replace the battery to eliminate stupid.