What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

X5900 Build

Dwayne

Gaming overkill. I expect that a 3080 will be the video card when it is available in numbers. I don't have a firm budget but I have enough that if a 3090 made sense I would get one. I don't stream or do any production work, I play games. I love flight sims, so MSFS 2020 will be purchased shortly after I get this build. I have some DCS stuff, been playing their sims since Lock On Modern Air Combat. I like FPS but I don't play any of the online stuff because I am old and slow. I enjoy the story stuff so I played a lot of Destiny 2 and Borderlands 2. And I am a big fan of the Diablo style ARPGs. I buy into most of them, but play a lot of PoE and D3. Space sims are on the machine too, I bought into Star Citizen really early (I am a Golden Ticket holder, if that matters) and I have the X Universe games still clinging to my drive space.

Here is a PC Part Picker link of parts.

I currently have a 240 AIO, Corsair, and I have been very happy with the ease of installation, use, and performance. The Krakens have a great reputation, a great warranty, and usually come out pretty high on the performance scale. I think the 280 should be able to handle the 5900X well.

Doing some research the Gigabyte MB has a lot of support as one of the better boards available. The BIOS is supposed to be a strong point. Good overclocker and very good power delivery.

The memory is pretty pricey but from what I read you want to run the memory around 3733, and the tight timings and, I believe Samsung B Die, should be able to do this with ease.

There is a lot of reasons not to buy into a PCIe 4.0 drive, the real world differences seem to be very small. And yet, who knows what the future brings? I think the Corsair drive is a solid choice, with its own heat sink. My alternative is the XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB but I am not worrying about budget, so why not?

Cases are pretty subjective. I would like to get the Lian Li Lancool mesh but availability is sparse. The Corsair is a place holder for various version of airflow cases, but it has to take a 280 AIO because I am not building a custom loop, but I really like the cooling that water brings.

PSU is a place not to skimp, I am open to changing the unit, but from what I can tell the choice here is pretty solid. I used the PSU link that someone provided https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/ so I feel this choice is pretty good.

Any better alternates?

moocow

Any reviews for the X63? Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 actually bested the X62.

Dwayne

Any reviews for the X63? Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 actually bested the X62.

I watched that. Pretty close between them, and the price differences are not as high as they were before. $199 for the Arctic vs $201 for the Kraken. The Kraken has a better warranty and track record though.

GN did a review earlier this year.

Cptn Vortex

Any reason the Aorus Master over the Ultra? I guess it has a 2.5gb NIC but otherwise pretty similar. I've got the Ultra and it's a darn solid board

Dwayne

Any reason the Aorus Master over the Ultra? I guess it has a 2.5gb NIC but otherwise pretty similar. I've got the Ultra and it's a darn solid board

Honestly, I have had both on the list, but right now the price difference is minimal according to Part Picker. $399 for the Ultra and $429 for the Master. I figured for $30 bucks, step up slightly. They really are very similar.

Skippman

I'm using the Ultra now and it's been rock solid, no complaints.

Let me ask this, 2.5G networking... does anyone actually use that?

JD

Staff member
Let me ask this, 2.5G networking... does anyone actually use that?
If you see WiFi 6E in your future at all, then yes, you'll have this on your next router most likely.

I run 10G myself, but I've definitely started to see more networking devices with 2.5G in the past year.

1G is now "slow" IMO since you can get that from ISP's now.

Bond007

Obviously solid choices. The one thing I would wait to make a firm decision on is ram. There is a chance the new CPUs may handle higher infinity clocks...if it does you may want faster ram. Also, that is a pretty high premium for cl16 in that kit (your call).

Dwayne

Obviously solid choices. The one thing I would wait to make a firm decision on is ram. There is a chance the new CPUs may handle higher infinity clocks...if it does you may want faster ram. Also, that is a pretty high premium for cl16 in that kit (your call).

I have time to wait, and the memory is one of the things I know the least about. I watched Buildzoid's channel and found a video with a build suggestions. This kit came up pretty high on his list, but at a cost, of course. I am casting about trying to find other info, but your advice is sound :)

Latest posts

Twitter