What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Xbox and PS3 Holding back Gaming ( Bit- Tech)

Arinoth

Staff member
Its unfortunately where game makers see a majority of their income from is consoles, leaving PC guys out high and dry.

Desiato

That's a load of crap IMO. There are a multitude of issues facing PC gaming and I wouldn't say direct hardware support is even in the top five. The general nature of PC hardware has always been a drawback with no easy solution -- especially because it changes so frequently.

PC gaming is primarily held back by market size, complexity, and the cost of creating content that can make use of high end hardware - while consoles remain easy and the cost of content development is rightsized to their capabilities.

Last edited:

LaughingCrow

As long as COD and similar shooters keep selling well, console users won't switch to higher end graphic systems. If anything, more games will try to figure out the COD formula. Even BioWare was hinting multiplayer for Dragon Age 3. And Dragon Age 2 was definitely aimed at the console market.

Desiato

The article outlines a problem that doesn't really exist. PC developers are free to build GPU and CPU specific versions of their games. They can even go further and support specific chipset features. But so far, it hasn't been worth the investment to do so. Well, not since the 90's when a single prodigy could do it on their own.

Most developers don't even write their own engines anymore. If they really wanted to optimize the game they could build an optimized OS for their direct hardware gaming engine. Well, in theory. The costs, talent, organization, etc requirements and risks all individually make it completely impractical to do so.

Additionally, people like John Carmack have noted for years that that for most games, content development is not limited by consumer hardware capabilities, but the time/cost/delivery restrictions and development hardware. So the full capabilities of PC hardware aren't even practically exploitable.

I believe that with the original Xbox, consoles became "good enough" to justify ditching the hassles of PC gaming for a large percentage of PC gamers and developers. For most types of popular games at least. It's less a case of the developers switching markets and more a case of the market switching platforms.

With console hardware so old, the time is now for a PC developer to do something truly groundbreaking. But unfortunately, I don't think enough interested people own the hardware to justify the investment.

added:

There's another way to look at this too. If a major console did not use DirectX, PC gaming could be in much worse shape than it is now.

Last edited:

ZZLEE

Look Fore LINUX copatable games
Portal a fun game ported to PC on Steem :)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Shooters will contiunue to reign supreme on the Console front, but MMORPG's will keep making PC's work for something.
When they figure out how to Port that to consoles, than PC's will die lol.

ST

Behemoth-

Shooters will contiunue to reign supreme on the Console front, but MMORPG's will keep making PC's work for something.
When they figure out how to Port that to consoles, than PC's will die lol.

ST
I personnally hate shooters on consoles. You just can react as fast with a joypad as you would with a mouse. I would not play any 1st / 3rd person games on a console. I also hate how the camera angles are managed.

IMO, consoles are decen for some sports games and racing games.

Stock

Didn't Microsoft kill their idea for pitting console gamers vs. PC gamers? Which FPS game was it again?

Until controllers become... more like mouses with hybrid keyboards or something hooked up to your brain, I don't see MMO's going away.

Last edited:

Latest posts