What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

XFX 8800 GT 512, Alpha Dog Edition problem

MCbonez

I posted over in the review thread for this card but I felt i should try making a thread here.

I picked up an XFX 8800 GT 512 mb, Alpha dog card at future shop but i can't get it to work. I hear it running, but i seem to get a video error (long beep then 2 short ones i think) on bootup.

Firstly the cords with the card (a 4 pin -6 pin connector) for the power is too short for me to use. I have a 6 pin - 6 pin connector that came with my power supply (Modstream PS, 450 watt/OCZ 12U) which i've tried using. I do hear the card running it's fan so im unsure if power is the problem.

Other than the beeps my monitor goes right into hibernation mode.

I'd rather not have to return this, and hoping i can find out what im doing wrong. If anyone has any ideas that'd be helpful. I'm totally lost so far.

AMD 64, 3200+
1 Gig DDR
ModStream Power supply 450 watt/OCZ 12U
120 gig HD
Asus A8V-E mainboard
BFG GF 4 6600 128mb (old)
GF 8800 GT 512 mb, Alpha dog (new)

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Unfortunately, I do not think your mobo is compatible with the G92 cards. You need a mobo which is compatible with the 8800GTS. There have been some odd things happening with these cards and boards with the PCI-E v1.0 spec.

There have been some workarounds but they all risk making a brick out of your card.

Here is one which flashed the card BIOS to an older Gen1 BIOS:
[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Asrock 775 Dual VSTA Incompatible with Nvidia 8800 series

If I were you the first thing I would do is download the latest BIOS for your mobo and then contact Asus.

reaverclan

its an xfx register it online then talk to them after u have you lifetime warenty and they will provide the gen 1 bios to flash and even say it does not viod your warenty:) i choose not to do it because i wanted new mobo to replace my asrock anyway. i have the bios for your model if u want it. but my model is vdf4.
ps i hate via chipsets lol for they dont support the g92's.

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I agree with Reaver. It is best if you contact XFX after registering the card since they will provide you with the best tech support and the proper BIOS for your card.

MCbonez

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't really any clue when it comes to the bios. This is a new one for me.
After reading about bios updating i'm sort of hesitant that I will do it right haha.

I'll think about updating it if i can manage it without any problems or if my friend can help me with that. Though I can return the card if it comes to it as they have the return policy ..sadly. But i'm gonna check the mobo's site and check in xfx too if i can get any feedback from them first.

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it! :thumb:Hopefully i can get this going. Will post up if anything gets resolved.

Latest posts