What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

yes im crazy....

go flames go

well actually gtx 295 quad > gtx 285 tri in games.. just fyi and... the drivers are still premature so..erm...ah...ya...uh no?

crispex

3 285's = 3GB memory, 720 streamprocs, 648 / 2484
2 295's = 3.5GB mem, 960 streamprocs, 576 / 1998

(I'm not really trying to argue, here. I just started writing this stuff down on a random whim...then decided to make a post out of it. :biggrin:
These clocks and such were taken from the standard EVGA cards.)

At first glance, the 295's advantages over the 285's are obvious, and they cripple the previous things I said. All I really want to point out, though, is the rather large difference in clock speeds. I don't really believe that the extra RAM or a few extra streamprocs (aren't some disabled on the 295, anyway?) really do make all that much of a difference.

Is there even any game or normal home application out there that could use a full 3 GB of ram on it's own? Never personally met one, and I'm not saying it's not out there.

Again, just trying to make a point of the higher clocks, and better OC ability you can get out of the 285's.

You can't disable SLI on a 295, right? I like the fact that with 285's I can turn that on and off as needed if I were running some older program that decided it didn't like more than one card at a time. 285's are also likely to have a better resale value, if what I've seen happen to previous dual-gpu cards is accurate.

go flames go

3 285's = 3GB memory, 720 streamprocs, 648 / 2484
2 295's = 3.5GB mem, 960 streamprocs, 576 / 1998

(I'm not really trying to argue, here. I just started writing this stuff down on a random whim...then decided to make a post out of it. :biggrin:
These clocks and such were taken from the standard EVGA cards.)

At first glance, the 295's advantages over the 285's are obvious, and they cripple the previous things I said. All I really want to point out, though, is the rather large difference in clock speeds. I don't really believe that the extra RAM or a few extra streamprocs (aren't some disabled on the 295, anyway?) really do make all that much of a difference.

Is there even any game or normal home application out there that could use a full 3 GB of ram on it's own? Never personally met one, and I'm not saying it's not out there.

Again, just trying to make a point of the higher clocks, and better OC ability you can get out of the 285's.

You can't disable SLI on a 295, right? I like the fact that with 285's I can turn that on and off as needed if I were running some older program that decided it didn't like more than one card at a time. 285's are also likely to have a better resale value, if what I've seen happen to previous dual-gpu cards is accurate.

240 stream proccesors is a few? The resale value doesnt concern me because i9ll use the step-up program. If I would have gone tri sli I would have to get a different case because it wouldnt fit sound card + 3 Cards. 3 cards would create more heat and more fan noise. I understand where your coming from but IMHO quad>tri.

lowfat

Staff member
Have you used a GTX295 before? They run hot and very loud. You will almost without a doubt be wasting the money on the 2nd card. I can run any game I've tried @ max detail w/ 16xAA. Obviously except Crysis, I can only used 8xAA with it.

Dwayne

The clock speed on the GTX 295 is very, very conservative. I have mine clocked to 602 core, linked 1204 Shaders, and 1025 (2050) memory now and it is running smooth and problem free, so far. I use RivaTuner to set the OC and I set up fan profiles to ramp up the "jet engine sounding cooler" as needed, and it is needed. You can run single GPU with the 295, just like any SLI setup. The SLI in the case of the 295 is internal though, but it is still a standard SLI in all respects, or so I understand. The GPUs are kinda hybrid 260/285 on the 295, so the single GPU results are what you would expect, I guess. I was torn between buying a single 285 or a single 295 as my MB is a crossfire board, bad planning on my part I guess :) at any rate, I got a very good deal from a local retailer here in the 'Peg, so I grabbed a 295 (they had the BFG GTX 295 on sale for $609)

In the end, what matters is that you are happy with the final product of your build. No matter what we as consumers do, there will always be something fast just around the corner. If you worry about that you would be paralyzed with indecision as there will always be that next better thing coming out!

crispex

No matter what we as consumers do, there will always be something fast just around the corner. If you worry about that you would be paralyzed with indecision as there will always be that next better thing coming out!

One of my perpetual problems. I think too much. :biggrin:

H

HaDeS

intresting... im gonna have to find some reading material on that.

Latest posts