What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Yet Another Bitfenix Prodigy build

captaineo

Total rookie here - have been on laptops for the past decade or so, and any hardware stuff I've ever done was on a pentium 4, mostly just swapping out failing HDD and CPU to keep the system running.

In the era of the tablet, I think I'm ready to go back to cases, and the bitfenix prodigy is just pretty enough to make me want to roll up my sleeves for this.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Moderate gaming on an HDTV. May work in a bit of XBMC/media server useage and possibly even replace my blu-ray player eventually. I'm the sort of person to run my machine into the ground, so I'm hoping this will keep me playing for four or five years with a few upgrades here and there. High settings matter, FPS doesn't.

Bioshock Infinite and maybe Skyrim. Otherwise older stuff like Batman Arkhams, KotoR II, etc. I tend to be a little behind the times in my gaming. Not interested in overclocking.

2. What YOUR budget is.
Approximately $1000 after taxes and shipping - willing to wait for sales, and buy secondhand where appropriate (Keyboard, case, memory, etc. - not mobo or gpu).

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.
Nvidia, Intel.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
My HDTV as the monitor.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I have reviewed several builds, and am starting to get the hang of what I'm looking for. I have a list of parts I'm considering.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I have no plans to overclock and likely never will.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
This month. Buying the case today, hoping to get some back-to-school hardware sales.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
Since this is for use with an HDTV, the resolution will be 1920x1080. I'd prefer to play on High-Max settings, big picture on steam, etc.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
SSD

Here are the parts I'm looking at getting:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
Case Fan: Heard good things about the Noctua NH D14, but that build order was very particular for this case. Would the stock fans be okay?
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: No idea. Cooling is really something I know nothing about.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX (like the built-in wifi, and don't need to overclock).
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
PSU: Silverstone 550W ST55F-G Gold, Modular (Overkill?)
Storage: I'd like to go for a 256 Gb SSD. Don't download many rips, and could add a 7200 RPM HDD later if need be.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

Thanks in advance for helping out a newb, and sorry if this type of build has gotten a little repetitive :)

Last edited:

On2wheels

That is nearly the same build I was looking at in my thread about building a steambox, but with a different case and cpu. I did see the Prodigy at the store, but it's so wobbly on that base, and if you remove it you lose that lower air intake. I still want to build one, but can't decide on the exact parts. Like you I usually run my machines longer than most, but I won't get into demanding games and FPs's in the living room. I really just want to use big picture mode as it was intended.
Don't forget to add 45$ for the controller, unless you have one.

ZZLEE

Zotac 660 TI allows you to keep upper hard drive bays. Or the ASUS 670 minni
650 TI

If you buy the Black case you can use 200 or 220 mm Fan up font.
Other collars of cases require the purchase of a front panel to get efective front cooling.

captaineo

@on2wheels - good point about the wobbly. I bought a prodigy NIB (opened) off Kijiji, and it does seem to have a little rock, but I'm hoping that with components it'll steady out. The motion wasn't alarming or anything, especially if it's going to be under a desk or next to my home theatre at all times. Out of curiosity, what CPU did you go for?

Zotac 660 TI allows you to keep upper hard drive bays. Or the ASUS 670 minni
650 TI

Good to know! The Gigabyte actually blocks upper bays? How many?

If you buy the Black case you can use 200 or 220 mm Fan up font.
Other collars of cases require the purchase of a front panel to get efective front cooling

Thanks for that point! I saw in the photo that the hexagons from the front panel were visible in the black model. That most likely changes the colour of the case at least.

I had been told by the guy who sold me the case that a 550W PSU wouldn't be enough for a 660 Ti, but everything I've read suggests that it's comfortable. Any other feedback very appreciated.

ZZLEE

Srasonic X fore Power supply Up to 850 watts fits.
850 watts here fan does not spin even under gaming loads. 124 watts idle 325 watts gaming. measured at the plug.

Dzzope

Bump the cpu to a K.. the prodigy has good cooling and the slight extra spend should extend the life of the CPU through overclocking. That would require a z77 board though.
I would look at a H80i or similar for cooler. If budget is a concern then something like the trusty old CM hyper 212 is cheap and pretty good. I found the fans a bit noisy but then I had it on a 950 oc'd to 4.0 so shed loads of heat to deal with.

My brother got a bitfinx survivor and the 200mm fans are almost completely silent... Can't see any issues with their fans... buy, try and if not happy replace.

Gigabyte RMA is in California... go MSI or Asus for Canada based RMA (if you have problems it can cost on shipping etc)

Samsung 840 pro is good for the SSD and reasonably priced (for it's performance) otherwise start reading reviews and see where the price - performance suits you...
Remember to look at real world tests... benches may show differences but whats the point if they aren't noticeable.

Look at a 760 if you can squeeze it into the budget

1866 ram is pretty much the same price as 1600 (usually or minimal difference of a couple of dollars) I'd bump up simply cos of that.

Latest posts