What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Yet Another New Build...HOORAY

sswilson

Staff member
I just verified that it's the same model PSU that was reviewed so AFAIC it's an awesome price on a good PSU.

That'd be my choice as long as you don't see SLI in your future (then we're talking an entirely different group of PSUs).

sswilson

Staff member
Hmmmmmmm

Apparently that PSU doesn't play nice with bottom PSU mount cases so it wouldn't be the best choice for the Antec 900 case. :(

Back to the drawing board.........

sswilson

Staff member
If you have a look at the HardwareCanucks weekly specials, there are two PCP&C PSUs.

One's on @ $105, the other (would do for any SLI build in the forseeable future) is running $149.

alright thanks sswilson lol. also for the processor, someone told me to go with the intel dual core i think it was, 1.8GHz over the 2.5GHz, i was wondering if anybody else had an opinion on this? and i may just wait for the price drop to get like a 2GHz or something slightly faster.

sswilson

Staff member
Are you planning to OC, and when do you forsee actually making the purchase?

If you plan to OC, you'll probably get the same upper end of cpu freq out of a lower clocked chip as you will out of a higher clocked chip.

Time frame is important too as there is supposedly a price drop coming around the 22 of july which will affect your choices.

My choice would be for at least a larger cache chip (6320 is the lowest 4 meg cache), but a lot depends on what you want to do with it. (Larger cache chips will generally do better at crunching #s, but it won't have a huge difference on gaming).

cujo

Are you planning to OC,
i would hope you are. otherwise why would you be posting on an overclocking forum. haha.

(Larger cache chips will generally do better at crunching #s, but it won't have a huge difference on gaming).
actually it's the other way around. the larger cache has a big effect on gaming and not so much on encoding.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe it depends on the type of # crunching going on.....

Larger cache chips make a huge difference to folding times. They also seem to bump up super-pi scores.

yea i definately plan on OC. I've never built my own rig b4, but all I'm worried about is the windows installation, and the OC, but I'll worry about that later. And I plan on buying this most likely after the price drop, but it may have to be held back a bit cause I'm kinda low on funds and don't have a job right now...alhtough I am only 15...Anywho, I forget how I was going to end this cause im kinda tired, so I'll edit if i remember in the morning.

Silver

Latest posts