What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Yet Another New Build...HOORAY

Well im a newbie and ime lookin at upgrading to a decent computer, so heres my specs. BTW im on a budget of about 1500, with the monitors, which i meet so far. I am buying from these guys, but they match prices so it works out great.
IBC Computer Distributors Phone: 519-837-0011 a division of MSP LTD>

CPU
Amd Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 2.4GHZ 2X512KB 89W 90NM Retail Box - DirectCanada
or this
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Brisbane 2.5GHZ 2X512KB 65NM 65W Retail Box - DirectCanada

I can get both for about the same price, and i was also wondering how much $155 would get me after Intel's price cuts, because i like intels chips....im just cheap lol.

GPU
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 640MB GDDR3 SLI Ready PCI Express Dual DVI HDTV Video Card 640-P2-N825-AR in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Mobo
ASUS M2N4-SLI ATX AM2 Nforce 4 SLI DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard - DirectCanada

RAM
OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gamer Memory (2 x 1024MB) OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Case
Welcome to IBC Computer Distributors - Phone: 519.837.0011 - a division of MSP LTD.
(which i can get for like 120-ish)
I was also looking at the NZXT Lexa, but right now im going with the Antec 900

PSU
Welcome to IBC Computer Distributors - Phone: 519.837.0011 - a division of MSP LTD.

Hard Drive
(which i can get for 60)

Optical Drive

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Surround Sound 24-bit OEM
(about 55)

Monitors(two of these)
Sceptre X20WG-Naga 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1000:1, WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050, DVI, Black, Speakers in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

all of this adds up to roughly 1500, i may try and get the Icemat Siberia, because i dont really use speakers, and i want a nice comfy high quality headset for fairly cheap. Anyways, put any advice you can give me, especially about the intel price drop.

cujo

why amd?

i'd go with this:
ASUS MOTHERBOARD C2D P5K LGA775 INTEL P35 ICH9 DDR2 1066 2XPCI-EX16
and this:
Intel BOXED CORE 2 DUO E4300 1.80G 2M 800FSB I64 S775

only an extra 50 bucks and you can bump the fsb to 333 from 200 for a free 1.2ghz oc. most likely achievable on stock volts. no oc on the mobo or ram required as the mobo supports 333fsb.

edit - would also bump up to some ddr2 800 ram.

OCZ 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel

edit2 - that psu is garbage. look for a solid brand name like enermax or antec. there really is no point in spending all that money on a nice gfx card if your computer restarts when you're playin games.

edit3 - hmm, i really should have just done this all in one post. anyway, that case is beautiful. really nice choice. the hard drive though has been around for at least 3 years. i just did an on site visit (my job) where coincidentally i discovered a dead one of those hard drives. exactly the same model as you're looking at in a dell that's less than 3 years old. if choosing western digital, look for something with a AAKS on the end of the model number (the one you have is JS) as that is the newest series. also, for not much more than you're spending you can get at least a 250 or 320gb. the best deal right now price per gig is a 500gb but that would take you over $100. a 250 or 320 will be less.

edit4 - if they match prices then show them the infonec site that i'm linking from. i pretty well exclusively shop there and the price is significantly less on most of the items you're looking at.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
It'd help if you wrote what the links are going to (under the link) as all we see is a link to the retailer you are going to use.... :)

I'd certainly second the suggestion that you bump up to PC6400.

I know that many early reviews of memory show DDR667 jumping through hoops for OC'ing, but make sure you look at the date on the site, if it's an older review there is no guarantee that the same chips are being used in production of those sticks.

Many higher end sticks are actually 667 or 533 chips better binned so you know that the better chips are now going to go towards PC6400+ sticks.

(Don't want you to be surprised if your 533 sticks will only OC to DDR800 speeds.... :) ).

As far as PSUs go..... yeah, on that one item do not cheap out, especially if you're running a "this gen" vid card. Your hardware will love you, and you'll experience less frustration trying to get a stable OC.

actually, i dont need two new lcd's, ill just use my old CRT for now. that way i can stay with the same budget but with some upgrades. I will actually go with the E6600 2.4GHz. I may wait until after the price cut too, I'm not sure.
Anyways thanks for the help so far.

Silver

cujo

actually, i dont need two new lcd's, ill just use my old CRT for now. that way i can stay with the same budget but with some upgrades. I will actually go with the E6600 2.4GHz. I may wait until after the price cut too, I'm not sure.
Anyways thanks for the help so far.

Silver

good call. upgrading slowly rather than all at once is definitely the best call.

should i bother buying a sound card? or should i just use onboard sound, cuz ive heard onboard sound it pretty decent in some cases, so i was wondering if its that big of a difference.

Latest posts