What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Yet another ram question

rjbarker

The only difference you'll see with increasing your Memory speed from 2400 - to even 4133 Mhz will be Benchmarks...thats it.....wouldnt think it would make any difference in games.....

im presently running a 2 x 16G (32G) kit 3200 Mhz CAS 16....Im actually tempted to pick up a 2 x 8G (16G) kit Cas 15 3800 Mhz kit ....see i its easier to OC my system ......I think 16G is still more than enough Memory for day to day stuff and gaming.........

rjbarker

more slower RAM is always better than less faster RAM.
This would only be the case for very minimum RAM....as it 8Gb vs say 16G or 32G......64G of 2133 is in no way better than running 16G or even 32G at a much higher frequency (3200 - 4133)....also CAS cant be ignored...I believe "slightly" lower frequency and lower Timings can be better than higher frequency and slower Timings.....Command Rate as well..1T vs 2T is slightly better.
.....really its about what youre using your PC for....in most cases (gaming) 16G - 32G (Max)...fast frequency and lower CL should give best results...

D

Dark Knight

For Intel higher ram speed doesn't matter as much. It matters more for Ryzen's Infinity Fabric and even that has diminishing returns past 3200 for DDR4.

rjbarker

Hardware Unboxed did a decent test showing different results with different ram speeds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VElMNPXJtuA

Basically while it does make a difference, it doesn't make a real difference. That and 3200-3400 seems to be the sweet spot, anything higher makes less and less sense.

Yeah folks get hung up on purchasing the fastest kits out there (looking at the OC compatibility advertised for the Boards)......then run into snags trying to reach those speeds,,,as in say 4133 ....agree though that 3200 - 3400 seems to be the sweet spot...my Platinums posted (1st time) to 2133 (JEDC) but once XMP enabled run at 3200 CAS 16.......
Gaming no real difference....looking for a higher benchmark faster is better (along with lower timings).....

...Im still trying to figure out if these Z390 Dual Channel Boards OC better with 4*8G (all DIMM Slots) vs 2*16G (2 Slots).....some mention of "Topography" of the boards makes 4 better.....but it goes against everything I taught myself OC'ing :blarg: .....

D

Dark Knight

Yeah folks get hung up on purchasing the fastest kits out there (looking at the OC compatibility advertised for the Boards)......then run into snags trying to reach those speeds,,,as in say 4133 ....agree though that 3200 - 3400 seems to be the sweet spot...my Platinums posted (1st time) to 2133 (JEDC) but once XMP enabled run at 3200 CAS 16.......
Gaming no real difference....looking for a higher benchmark faster is better (along with lower timings).....

...Im still trying to figure out if these Z390 Dual Channel Boards OC better with 4*8G (all DIMM Slots) vs 2*16G (2 Slots).....some mention of "Topography" of the boards makes 4 better.....but it goes against everything I taught myself OC'ing :blarg: .....
Generally the less of a load on the IMC (ie fewer DIMM channels) help to overclock better. That's why certain motherboards don't have the full complement of DIMM slots but still have dual channel/quad channel capability.

rjbarker

Generally the less of a load on the IMC (ie fewer DIMM channels) help to overclock better. That's why certain motherboards don't have the full complement of DIMM slots but still have dual channel/quad channel capability.

Being an avid OC'er going back 10yrs this is the norm for sure...however...do some research on Asus T Topology Mother boards and added Traces and you'll see why I question this reversal....
....... over at ROG Forum this has been an ongoing discussion..........half density vs double density RAM sticks ....it seems the jury is out on this....Im not convinced that 4*8G is better then 2*16G....but I do know architecture has changed in high end boards ......and the old addage of populate less DIMMS for better OC'ing may not necessarily be the case anymore.....

rjbarker

I'm aware how it works. There's a reason why motherboard manufacturers release boards with fewer DIMM slots (GB, ASUS etc) and are aimed at overclockers. Even the ASUS Rampage VI Maximus is a good example of this while still providing quad channel memory bandwidth.

Yes im still not convinced populating 4 Dimms with 8 G each is better for OC'ing than 2 Dimms with 16G each.......I may just purchase a 4*8G kit and test this....:whistle:

shybri69

Okay so my update is this, WOW now runs full on, ultra, 3440x1440, I also bumped up the fps from 95, to 115-125, which I was not able to do without flickering with the older ram (not that it's old), secondly WRC 7 now runs same settings, although fps did need to be lowered. In the end, for me it was a slightly noticeable change (which most of you already noted) and I am quite happy with my purchase and will sell off the "old" ram lol
I want to thank you guys for all the input, I definitely appreciate it, that's why I come here for advice and opinions, every one matters to me and I consider each and every one, thanks again.

Twitter