What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

z5500 worth the heft pricetag?

donkon

Just wondering if the logitech z5500 are worth the hefty price tag? I mean yeah they seem kick ass, but i am having trouble forking out $400 for a set of computer speakers. I'm looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system to use with my new sound card. I play a lot of games, listen to a lot of music / radio on the computer. Right now i got some old crappy logitech speakers which i bought for $4 brand new 2 years ago. Any ideas? Also just wondering, if i wanted to switch to my ps3 or 360 real quick and use the speakers would it be a long process going back an forth or is it quite easy?

Arinoth

Staff member
Personally i don't think they are, I loved my old set of speakers, the Logitech X-530s (and personally think they are a lot better then the X-540s that are out there and now they collect dust in a box). If you're going for that price or up, its better to start thinking of a home theater package in my mind since you'll get receiver that'll let you switch between different medias like i do. I have my 360 hooked through HDMI to my receiver, HD TV hooked through HDMI to my receiver, and optical audio from my computer to my receiver, all video outputed hdmi to my hd tv, and the audio through the speakers. I also find a receiver does better sound processing then regular speakers do anyways.

jcmaz

you might as well go to the audio specialty store and pick out a 5.1 system like Harman/Kardo, JVC, etc...

probationer

For that price any 'home theater' gear will be absolute shite imo, any average receiver starts $300+ so you can't really compare the Z-5500 to any respectable home theater gear. Remember the Z-5500's are designed for pc and console use in mind not HT with HDMI etc. For over the top bass, power and 'ok' overall sound (most people will think it sounds awesome since they havent heard anything better but hey who cares if you like the sound you like the sound) they cannot be beaten....unless edifier actually get off their ass and release their S550 and S750 series...but don't hold your breath they've been listed on their site for 2+ years now.

gingerbee

oh i agree with you a nice set speakers with a very good receiver for the ht is better but look at the price 400+ for a good receiver and another 500 just on speakers then 300 to 500 on a sub. all i am saying is it adds up quick (edifier have heard good things but have not had a chance to listen to them)

Robscix

Go with some Bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer meant for HT. You can get a receiver or go with a 6 channel amplifier. This may end up being more moeny but you will get much better sound quality then what the Z-5500's can produce.

probationer

Getting back to the OP's main query, his primary use is switching between consoles and PC, then yes the 5500's are your easiest (dummy proof for switch sources also) option on a budget. We seem to be heading down a HT recommendation thread lol.

Onkyo receivers all the way for me also Eagle Eye.

Latest posts

Twitter