What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

z5500 worth the heft pricetag?

Robscix

These conversation usually always move towards HT gear because in the end this usually provides the best sound quality.

Jake2001

They sound okay WITH a soundcard. You also cannot run the subwoofer past 40% level or it's too much. (Unless you're listening to rap?)

They are very loud, that helps. Also they don't distort when they're up loud.

Are they worth 300? Sure, because they can't really be beat for 5.1 for that price, maybe in sound quality, but not in power.

Put it this way, they're a 5.1 system, that is quite loud, and they're 300 bucks sometimes less.. how good do you think they're going to sound?

But yes, they sound decent for the price. I'm happy with mine, but for real listening I put on my beats, those sound fantastic :biggrin:

They need to make a friggen updated version of these speakers..

ripken204

i would never buy a set of these even if i could get a good deal on them.
i am for audio quality and these speakers just dont have them.
look at a HT setup as other have said.

donkon

ok so in short z5500 are top end in pc speakers, then come the ht speakers. Like i said i am having trouble paying $400 for these speakers, which means 600+ for awesome ht system is out of the question. Guess i need to find a used set somewhere, but almost no one is selling the 5500. And yeah i listen to a lot of hiphop and techno so i need some good bass

gingerbee

then just wait they will be on sale from someone like tiger or even ncix maybe for under 300 with delivery at some point :thumb:

Robscix

ok so in short z5500 are top end in pc speakers, then come the ht speakers. Like i said i am having trouble paying $400 for these speakers, which means 600+ for awesome ht system is out of the question. Guess i need to find a used set somewhere, but almost no one is selling the 5500. And yeah i listen to a lot of hiphop and techno so i need some good bass

I wouldn't go that far. There are some better PC systems out there.
Many are harder to get in North America though, which is a big issue for many.
Look around a bit more before you commit to buying the Z-5500's.

JD

Staff member
I personally find the bass on the Z-5500s just way too overpowered to the point where it's not really proper. Sure its really "boomy" which to some I guess sounds good, but it's not true to the audio.

Compared to my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 and my HT's Boston Acoustics CS10 (down-firing powered sub), the Z-5500s really just don't sound right. However it's hard to get anything other than the Z-5500s for "high-end" PC sound.

gingerbee

+1 to jdrom he knows his stuff and i own the z5500 good but far from great ( ps @jdrom where to get in canada thank ):thumb:

JD

Staff member
( ps @jdrom where to get in canada thank ):thumb:
Get what? The Klipsch set? They aren't even produced anymore so it's impossible to find them. Maybe if your lucky on eBay or something. I got mine for like $350 at Canada Computers quite a few years ago. I had to return the first set since the amp failed within a day, 2nd set lasted longer but the amp still failed (very, very common problem) so I had to get it repaired. At least it was under warranty still.

gingerbee

sucks sorry to hear you had all those problem. What would you buy with the same price range this summer (300$) i am trying to look at all options myself