What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Zotac Nano AD10 + XBMC

Kurtis Wanner

For me this will be nothing but a media box. Why do you recommend the hard drive?
I will probably go with the barebones and add 4GB RAM and a SSD if you think one is necessary. Looking through NCIX's 2.5" drives, I wonder if there is any reason to go bigger than 60GB? OCZ's Vertex 3 is currently $80.

rrrake

For me this will be nothing but a media box. Why do you recommend the hard drive?
I will probably go with the barebones and add 4GB RAM and a SSD if you think one is necessary. Looking through NCIX's 2.5" drives, I wonder if there is any reason to go bigger than 60GB? OCZ's Vertex 3 is currently $80.

I guess it depends on where you store your database/etc. Some of the addons can grab quite a lot of artwork for tvshow/movies. And it can be setup for sickbeard/couch potato if you desired.

Pricematch from newegg wherever you buy it, they're the cheapest right now.

As for SSD. 60 is more than enough for this little machine, if you need more go with a HD.

rrrake

I don't see the AD10 at Newegg at all. It shows as deactivated with no price.

WOW, you are correct, I just had one in my cart yesterday and ordered my current one from there a few weeks ago. (Delivery was quick, 2 days)

Was going for $299 with HD and RAM.

yamawho

I guess it depends on where you store your database/etc. Some of the addons can grab quite a lot of artwork for tvshow/movies. And it can be setup for sickbeard/couch potato if you desired.

Pricematch from newegg wherever you buy it, they're the cheapest right now.

As for SSD. 60 is more than enough for this little machine, if you need more go with a HD.

I tried a system with XMBC on a 2 GB usb stick and there is not much place for artwork...

I installed it on a hdd and downloaded all the artwork but whenever I add new stuff you need to go thru the whole rescan of the files ...

A quicker way is to just lookup thru as files with no artwork.

Is there an update the artwork as you go function ?

rrrake

I tried a system with XMBC on a 2 GB usb stick and there is not much place for artwork...

I installed it on a hdd and downloaded all the artwork but whenever I add new stuff you need to go thru the whole rescan of the files ...

A quicker way is to just lookup thru as files with no artwork.

Is there an update the artwork as you go function ?

You can centralize all your artwork with your files so you would only have to download it once.

I assume you are talking about tv shows? Which artwork exactly? Do you have the artwork downloader addon installed?

yamawho

Files are in same place on the network.
I did the DL as stated before but if you add new content, it does not see it.
It seems you need to access them as files or rescan.

rrrake

Files are in same place on the network.
I did the DL as stated before but if you add new content, it does not see it.
It seems you need to access them as files or rescan.

Are you downloading new shows, or just new episodes? What artwork specifically are you speaking of?

You might have to run Artwork Downloader once for each show, but it should save everything properly named in the directories with your TV Shows.

If this is a recent thing, there is a bug and you need the youtube plugin to be installed to properly scrape thetvdb (no idea why), so check that.

Otherwise, break it down for me a bit more as to what exactly is happening and what you want to happen optimally and I'll try to help you out.

yamawho

I tried a stand alone install the first time.
I also installed it in windows 7 btw.
After I noticed this I stopped using it and just used windows ...

Arinoth

Staff member
I bought the Plus Model with the 320GB HD and 2gb RAM stick. Upgraded to 4gb ram, but its not needed. Barebones would be fine with just an SD Card and a 2gb stick of RAM (although I recommend a HD).

Nothing else required. I havent tested bluetooth, but wireless works (albeit not amazingly). Remote works fine both internal and using the external usb adapter.

One file has to be edited (asound.conf) to get dts and dolby digital working over hdmi.

No problems with Video Sync, unless I have it change to 1080p 24hz with questionable materials. CPU cores run at ~40% each when playing Frozen Planet full 1080p.

Streaming works wonderfully, I can stream SD content no problem over the wifi, HD has some buffering issues I haven't got into yet.

The remote, is ok. It works out of the box, I'll probably change a few of the keymaps for it.
I recommend dropping $40 on the boxee remote for a better user experience if you plan on using it a lot.

That would be because even Wireless N can't really guarantee enough bandwidth/speed required for 1080p HD content. Unless you have a dual band wireless card and router, you will have a very hard time streaming 1080p HD content over wireless.

Latest posts