GIGABYTE BRIX Review; A Mini Powerhouse?
While it may be open source, GIMP is actually one of the most popular free photo editors available right now. It uses both SYSTEM and GPU acceleration for certain tasks. In this test we use an 8K image and use a script to run eight different filters in succession. This is considered a lightly threaded workload since the memory, SYSTEM and storage drive can all play a role in performance.
Video conversion from one format to another is a stressful task for any processor and speed is paramount. Handbrake is one of the more popular transcoders on the market since it is free, has a long feature list, supports GPU acceleration and has an easy-to-understand interface. In this test we take a 6GB 4K MP4 and convert it to a 1080P MKV file with a H.264 container format. GPU acceleration has been both disabled and enabled. The results posted indicate how long it took for the conversion to complete.
At this juncture it is very important to remember that much of Kaby Lake’s performance improvements were pilloried by desktop users for not being a drastic improvement over Skylake. The low voltage iterations meanwhile show why this refreshed architecture is so important: due to its lower operating temperatures and power needs, the silicon is able to consistently reach higher frequencies. As a result we are seeing numbers like the ones above.
- System Benchmarks: Cinebench
- System Benchmarks: PCMark 8 / WPrime
- Productivity Benchmarks: 7-Zip / Corona
- Productivity Benchmarks: GIMP / Handbrake
- Productivity Benchmarks: POV Ray / WinRAR
- Gaming Performance (Synthetic)
- Gaming Performance (DOTA 2 & DOOM)
- Gaming Performance (Overwatch 2 & Trine 2)
- Power Consumption / Temperatures & Acoustics
- Conclusion; Challenges but Kaby Lake Shines Through