The Intel Optane Memory Module Review
Crystal DiskMark is designed to quickly test the performance of your drives. Currently, the program allows to measure sequential and random read/write speeds; and allows you to set the number of tests iterations to run. We left the number of tests at 5 and size at 100MB.
While there are numerous suites of tests that make up PCMark 7, only one is pertinent: the HDD Suite. The HDD Suite consists of numerous tests that try and replicate real world drive usage. Everything from how long a simulated virus scan takes to complete, to MS Vista start up time to game load time is tested in these core tests; however, we do not consider this anything other than just another suite of synthetic tests. For this reason, while each test is scored individually we have opted to include only the overall score.
As we suspected the read performance of Optane Memory is indeed very good, but the write performance is downright abysmal when compared to similarly priced SATA solid state drive options.
- A Closer Look at the Optane Memory Module
- Setup and Installation
- Test Systems and Testing Methodology
- Read Bandwidth / Write Performance
- ATTO Disk Benchmark
- Crystal DiskMark / PCMark 7
- AS-SSD / Anvil Storage Utilities Pro
- Windows 10 / Adobe Photoshop CS6 Load Time
- Firefox Load / Real World Data Transfers
- Partial and Full Drive Performance
- Conclusion: Teaching a New Dog Old Tricks