What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh Win 10 Install

Groove

So just clarify folks...I can clean install Windows 10 by creating ios or usb booteable, then enter my original W7 Product Key? I also want to try a clean install of W10.
thanks

If you already have windows 10 installed on your pc you don't even need a product key anymore. When you activated windows 10 for the first time on your pc, your key was automatically linked to your motherboard. You can fresh install windows 10 without the product key and when you will be connecting to the web it will recognized your motherboard automatically and activate on its own.

Bartacus

Question: when you create a Windows 10 image, does that include all the patches / bug fixes? Do those get slip-streamed into the ISO?

sswilson

Staff member
Question: when you create a Windows 10 image, does that include all the patches / bug fixes? Do those get slip-streamed into the ISO?

Bit of a qualifier to this.....

No it's not completely up to date, but it should be the most recent major "upgrade". I just did a fresh install and didn't have to go through the anniversary update, although there were a few security updates.

If we compare to previous OS versions... the USB install that's created would be the latest Service Pack.

Bartacus

Internet access is that bad in Ottawa?

I'm out in the country for one more month. 1.7Mb down, 0.4Mb up. Yeah. :bananafunky:

No it's not completely up to date, but it should be the most recent major "upgrade". I just did a fresh install and didn't have to go through the anniversary update, although there were a few security updates.

If we compare to previous OS versions... the USB install that's created would be the latest Service Pack.
That's more like it, thanks man! That gives me a sliver of hope. :biggrin: Hopefully when I move into the city in a month, I'll have 100Mbit down so this won't be an issue any more.

Vittra

Inputting the Windows 7/8.1 CD key into the Windows 10 installation may actually be seen and activated as a new device. I mention this because some people have been able to use their Windows 7 keys quite recently to install a fresh copy of windows on new hardware. Why is this still working as they stopped upgrades? Ask Microsoft.

Fresh install on a machine that previously had Windows 10:

1) Digital Entitlement. NO Microsoft Account associated. Reinstall Windows 10 and do not enter a key. It will activate via internet based on mobo/cpu ID. People encounter mixed results with this method.
2) Digital Entitlement. Microsoft account associated. You will see the device on your MS account. Reinstall Windows 10 and do not enter a key. It will activate via internet based on mobo/cpu ID once you have logged into your MS account again on the new installation.

Upgrading hardware on a machine that already has Windows 10

1) Install Windows 10 and enter the previous Windows 7/8.1 product key you have. This will create a new device ID/activation association. Mixed results reported on this method.
2) Digital Entitlement. Microsoft Account associated. Make sure your current device has a Microsoft Account logged in and associated. Upgrade hardware. If your device deactivates, you can go to the "Activation" section of Windows and migrate your Digital Entitlement over from your previous hardware setup to your new one.

Note - Logging in with a Microsoft Account will attach itself to the local account that is currently logged in. Do not do this if you use the built-in admin account. Create a separate local admin account first - but really, you shouldn't be using the built-in admin account anyway.

Last edited:

stlouis1

To provide an alternative that sums up the general method, I've been finding this really useful for doing a clean install of Win10 if you did the free upgrade.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

To sum it up, there's an exe called gatherosstate.exe on the windows 10 cd/dvd. You run it, and it backs up your activation state in a Genuineticket.xml file on your desktop. Backup this file

Do a clean install without a key and/or Start the install from within windows, like if you're going to do an upgrade, but choose the option to keep files only. Finish the install and then copy that Genuineticket.xml back into a specific folder outlined in that how to I linked, reboot maybe, and poof, reactivated.

I've done this dozens of times now, it's easy and painless. Just don't expect it to work if you're changing your hardware.

guilly

Yes, of course the latest SP# will be applied, which has always been the case, no? But all of the monthly patches or emergency fixes won't be which is what I thought Bartacus was questioning....

Latest posts