What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Portable Air Conditioners? .... recommendations for super quiet?

clshades

well you pay for the silence, for cheap people don't buy an know the diffence, and yes window units are most effeicent. that single cheap plastic hose serves a purpose to exhaust heat and humidity out window. if have 2 hoses is it any better ? just need to use more BTU's to cool with floor type A/C unit
regardless its rating.

old window unit draws 15 amps

portable seen 12 amps draw save alittle on Hydro and noise
it needs two hoses or it sucks the cold air into the machine before it does any good to the room.

ZZLEE

I got a Tosheba from Home Depot fore a friend and they love it. Its a window type and it was 360 $. Its quit and powerful.

draemn

it needs two hoses or it sucks the cold air into the machine before it does any good to the room.
No the reason for 2 hoses is to maintain the pressure in the room. So you bring in outdoor air to run over the unchilled liquid to cool it down and then that becomes hot air and you exhaust it back out. Then when the liquid is cold, you bring in air from the room, cool it and spit it back in the room.

If you only have one hose, it draws air in from the room to cool the liquid and then exhausts that air outside. You now have a negative pressure (like having too many "out" fans on your computer) and air will come into the room from any gap it can find, so you're going to be bringing warm air into the room as a result. I don't know how well documented this effect is, but I've heard anywhere from a 25-50% loss in efficiency.

clshades

No the reason for 2 hoses is to maintain the pressure in the room. So you bring in outdoor air to run over the unchilled liquid to cool it down and then that becomes hot air and you exhaust it back out. Then when the liquid is cold, you bring in air from the room, cool it and spit it back in the room.

If you only have one hose, it draws air in from the room to cool the liquid and then exhausts that air outside. You now have a negative pressure (like having too many "out" fans on your computer) and air will come into the room from any gap it can find, so you're going to be bringing warm air into the room as a result. I don't know how well documented this effect is, but I've heard anywhere from a 25-50% loss in efficiency.
easily solved by turning the furnace fan on. That will always bring in fresh air. Having owned one I can tell you for certain it does not work as well using room air. They are terribly inefficient and loud, but if you need to cool the room down and you can't do a window version, its better than nothing on a hot day. Spent f400 dollars on one and the 150 dollar cheapo windows mount worked way better. Don't have the water problem either.

draemn

easily solved by turning the furnace fan on. That will always bring in fresh air. Having owned one I can tell you for certain it does not work as well using room air. They are terribly inefficient and loud, but if you need to cool the room down and you can't do a window version, its better than nothing on a hot day. Spent f400 dollars on one and the 150 dollar cheapo windows mount worked way better. Don't have the water problem either.
Furnace fan doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that the cold air in the room is getting sucked out of the room and being replaced by warmer air. If you have a portable AC with dual hoses, you are just re-using the cold air in the room and that's more efficient.

I'm not saying portable AC units don't work, just saying the difference between the options. (although some portable AC units work so poorly they aren't worth buying)

clshades

Furnace fan doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that the cold air in the room is getting sucked out of the room and being replaced by warmer air. If you have a portable AC with dual hoses, you are just re-using the cold air in the room and that's more efficient.

I'm not saying portable AC units don't work, just saying the difference between the options. (although some portable AC units work so poorly they aren't worth buying)
I was referring to the negative air pressure and yes the furnace fan will compensate for that if it's installed correctly.

draemn

I was referring to the negative air pressure and yes the furnace fan will compensate for that if it's installed correctly.
But it defeats the purpose because you're still bringing in air from outside the room. The whole point of a dual hose portable air conditioner is so that the room you cool in the air doesn't move out of the room and no new air is required to be brought into the room.

On2wheels

I'm being asked to consider one of these portable units over an old window-shaker type for someone. The old unit still cools, but doesn't seal very well up to the old window frame any more. Does anyone have tricks they use to get a window sealed up tight or know who sells the kits for window shakers? I cant seem to find them.

Izerous

Folding Team
Hardware store stiff board of insulation foam + foam tape. I have some left over 4x8 sheets of insulation foam taking space in the garage. If you were not so far away you could just cut a strip off of one and drive off with it.

+
or something simialr based on the size of the window

Cut out the foam sheet to the size you need and border it with the foam tape for a tight fit

Last edited:

Latest posts