What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New rig for the wife

Bond007

I ditched the cooler since all she does in netflick, facebook and soon to be the new Diablo game. The CPU does come with is own, so it should work for now anyways. I also ditched that WD SSD for the Crucial one like mine.

I thought about swapping parts with mine and getting some better stuff as I know she dont need as much CPU as I picked for her already. lol Still might. :p

List so far https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r6XN3Z
Looking pretty good overall. That case would be a hard pass for me, as I have had issues with random cases over the years, but if you are set on it it may be alright.

I would swap the power supply to seasonic focus, focus plus or Corsair rmx (all the same price or less, and better IMO).
Isn't P5 a DRAM-less SSD? Personally, I always try to go with one with onboard cache like WD Black. Kind of made the mistake of going with Blue 550 before the gut swap story broke and it's a tad slow on my sister's MacBook and Hackintosh.
P5 has dram, and is a pretty good drive. Not as fast at burst work compared to some, but solid overall. The older crucial P drives are dramless.

titch--

Hey thanks guys for the feedback.

That case would be a hard pass for me too, but am married to a girly girl and she likes the pretty colours. :p

Ill check on those power supplies

cheers

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'd still strongly consider the 5600G over the X. She doesn't need a GPU and it's very cost effective for what you're trying to achieve.

You're saving money over the X and don't have to buy another GPU. Also should for whatever reason you need more GPU horsepower in a year or two you can upgrade at that time.

titch--

Added the vid card I have laying around for her in my last post.

That should be better the the one in the 5600, yeah?

Bond007

Yes the vid card is better than integrated.
I'd still strongly consider the 5600G over the X. She doesn't need a GPU and it's very cost effective for what you're trying to achieve.

You're saving money over the X and don't have to buy another GPU. Also should for whatever reason you need more GPU horsepower in a year or two you can upgrade at that time.
He already has the rx470 though, so the 5600X is a better CPU overall if the integrated graphics isn't required.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yes the vid card is better than integrated.

He already has the rx470 though, so the 5600X is a better CPU overall if the integrated graphics isn't required.
Sorry the way I read it the 470 was his gpu and he needed another for her computer. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

titch--

Hey guys
Thought I should pop in here to say thanks and that I have everything together after her ordering a few parts here and there.

It was super easy to flash the mobo for the CPU, thats after I realized the CPU has its own power cable. lol

She loves the lights thats for sure . 🤪
yxQPpM9.jpg

Bond007

Hey guys
Thought I should pop in here to say thanks and that I have everything together after her ordering a few parts here and there.

It was super easy to flash the mobo for the CPU, thats after I realized the CPU has its own power cable. lol

She loves the lights thats for sure . 🤪

Nice. What was the final parts list?

titch--

Iam having one issue though. Was thinking of starting a thread in the troubleshooting topic but Ill start here first.

Im pretty sure the mobo does NOT like the SSD. The only way I can get windows to run is by using the windows 10 disk and changing the boot order to run the DVD drive first. If I power it off with the disk out and change it to run from the SSD first it hangs up on the MSI "MAG" screen.

The bios recognizes the drive and it comes as UEFI Hard Disk: Windows Boot Manager (name)
BBS priorities is Window Boot Manager
AHCI is picked over raid.

Anything else I should be looking at?

cheers

Latest posts