What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

1070 running pretty warm, or ok?

aviduser

I just picked up an msi gtx 1070 aero oc. I usually go for a tri-fan gpu, but was tight on funds. My 4670k is under water so I thought that would help the aero run a little cooler.

Out of the box, my temps are 40c idle, 82c load.

Luckily, this chip oc's pretty well, if I increase the power limit to 105%. I am at 45c idle, 86c load.

Ambient temp is around 24c, I'm pretty tempted to apply some better thermal paste at this point. I have a haf mid-tower with a 240 rad mounted up top exhausting.

Bond007

I just picked up an msi gtx 1070 aero oc. I usually go for a tri-fan gpu, but was tight on funds. My 4670k is under water so I thought that would help the aero run a little cooler.

Out of the box, my temps are 40c idle, 82c load.

Luckily, this chip oc's pretty well, if I increase the power limit to 105%. I am at 45c idle, 86c load.

Ambient temp is around 24c, I'm pretty tempted to apply some better thermal paste at this point. I have a haf mid-tower with a 240 rad mounted up top exhausting.

Those temps are what I would expect from a blower based card. The default fan profile probably tries to keep noise somewhat under control, but I would increase fan speed under load to try and stay <80 if you can.

aviduser

Those temps are what I would expect from a blower based card. The default fan profile probably tries to keep noise somewhat under control, but I would increase fan speed under load to try and stay <80 if you can.

Forgot to mention I did modify the fan curve already, but i'll go even more aggresive still.

Fans running at 80% around 80c, 85% at 85c.

Guess worst case scenario I either get a water block or an aftermarket cooler. Thanks for the info

Dragonstongue

80% for 80c IMO that is bad thermal paste or something for such "an efficient card" as everyone proclaims the 10 series to be, my lil old 7870 if I left at ~50% fan would hit that temperature level, the only way I can see it hitting 80c at 80% speed is if the fan is not ejecting the air properly(bad airflow or tight constrained rad), bad thermal paste used, being overclocked, or NV lying as usual to drum up sales :) cause everyone raves about them fancy coolers, then again, Nv has often let their stuff run "hotter" even though Vregs and such for longest time has lower thermal limits then AMD.

I would change the core thermal past to something better IMO that should easily shave 5c or more off if they put too much on(which I seen many companies do from the factory many many times) something like MX4, CM Master 5 or along those lines though for a gpu core I would avoid using things like AS5 just in case a bit flakes off and makes a contact point.

Vittra

The "Aero" is the budget blower cooler, so I'm not seeing a problem with temps per se.

The "Armor" is the dual fan setup.

aviduser

I re-pasted the card with some mx4, temps peak at 80c. Overclocked, doesnt really need to be. But i like getting all the performance i can.

I know arctic cooling makes somr good aftermarket solutions. Cant find a canadian distributor yet though

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
If you're going to put that under water with your CPU, make sure you have enough rad to dissipate the heat. You wouldn't want your CPU to go over (what I would consider) safe 24/7 gaming levels. I always had my CPU on a 3x120 rad, then through a 2x120 for the GPU / motherboard loop.

Alternatively, if you game with cans on, just crank up the fan.. who cares about the jet engine beside you when you're gaming. :)

KaptCrunch

I re-pasted the card with some mx4, temps peak at 80c. Overclocked, doesnt really need to be. But i like getting all the performance i can.

I know arctic cooling makes somr good aftermarket solutions. Cant find a canadian distributor yet though

other is case air management

use a fan controller to move cool in and hot out

aviduser

Yeah I'd be good on the rad, have run dual 240's in this case before. Not totally convinced I want to spend $200 on a gpu block though.

Haven't ran a fan controller in a few years since my sentry died. The HAF does have the 180mm intake and 3x120 exhaust. Would think that would be sufficient, I'd kinda like to pick up an analog fan controller tho, maybe just boost the intake a bit when gaming.

Thanks for all the tips so far!

Latest posts