What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

Dwayne

Interesting take here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-10900k-vs-amd-5900x-gaming-performance/

Though no mention of dual rank memory or not. Perhaps Ampere does see some benefit from having PCIe 4.0 vs 3.0 on the Intel side too since it's the only way they were able to get AMD to "win" the FPS battle.

It does make things more complex for the average system builder, since it would appear certain combinations of GPU/RAM perform better than others, it's not as simple as Intel where you can slap it together and (generally) get top tier performance.

Thanks for the link. That was a great article. Coupled with the memory articles from Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed it is becoming apparent that it will be difficult to cross compare results in reviews. I know that all the reviewers and reviews I have been reading are pretty detailed on their test platforms and methodologies, we can see that variation in platforms can create some very different results!

I guess a main take away is that each review becomes its own encapsulated data point. The reviewer's comparison and deltas have to be viewed more from a percentage point to point delta vice raw FPS numbers or results. It certainly makes figuring things out that much harder.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
that article didn't really address what was better.

of course, my brain gets confused with numbers cause of my dyscalculia...so that doesn't help :p

if we remove 'servers' from the equation and want to get the best RAM for a consumer platform (AMD or Intel) what would be better? single or dual rank?

Bartacus

Mike's said they did a shipment yesterday, but I didn't get an email :( ah well. Patience. The 3600X is a good CPU though and it will keep me gaming for now.
Oh yeah, I'm not suffering either with a 3900x, LOL! Just very excited to see what the 5950x can do.

lowfat

Staff member
Check out the 5800x single core boosting chart. A large number of them are getting some pretty poor boost clocks. Hopefully just needs some tweaking w/ Agesa and not such a massive variation in silicon quality. If I spent $600+ again on a CPU and it boosts so badly, I'll be mad. Boosting on my 3900x is crap.

INWyH58.png

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Hm. Thats interesting. I think it was Toms or Anand that I read, and they were getting ~75-100mhz above stated clocks.

JD

Staff member
I'll be mad. Boosting on my 3900x is crap.
Me too, hope these 5000 series chips are of better quality since AMD has been advertising "most" will boost to 5GHz? Otherwise I am just super unlucky and always get "bad" chips? I've never had a "unicorn" CPU or GPU that I can recall :(

Latest posts