What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Asrock P4VM800 Bios/DMA/MemoryTiming problem

Lickman

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Im not sure if this is the right thread, but I couldnt find an better one so please please lend an ear.

This board doenst enable DMA on the hardrives only PIO mode, even after enabling in Bios. Also the memory timings are wrong, they show up as DDR200 MHZ even though I have 3200MHZ corsair Dual channel DDR400Mhz.

I have the latest 1.6 bios installed and I dont know what to try next. Thanks for listening
[/FONT]

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Welcome to the forums! I can't help you regarding the DMA, but the Ram frequency is bang on - don't forget that it is Double Data Rate (DDR), which means that you need to double the amount of data - hence the 200Mhz x 2 = 400Mhz (PC3200 / DDR400).

I hope that someone else knows the answer to your first question.

John

Lickman

RE:

Thanks for the warm welcome and really fast response!

I beleive the memory timings are only reading half of what they should be because when I use Everest memory benchmark it shows up as 200mhz when most everything else is 400mhz ddr. Not to mention that these same memory sticks are puls from my Asus a8v deluxe where Everest reports the pair of corsairs as 400mhz ddr.

Not to mention Ive got the FSB overclocked to 217MhZ the ram runs at 261MHZ in everest. Besides, I dont believe the ram would run properly at that high of a speed if everest was reporting it as half DDR, In other words running at 522MHZ!

3.0charlie

Can you show me a screenshot of Everest, showing the Ram speed? Also, what is the Ram multi, allowing it to run at 261?

Lickman

bump

Charlie I posted my everset page in this thread, thanks for helping me out man.

3.0charlie

I'm sorry I totally forgot about your post. Re-reading the whole thing, I think you are still mislead regarding the naming convention of the Ram speeds.

200MHz = PC3200 = DDR400 --> not DDR400MHz.

Since you oc'ed your CPU to 217MHz, and are using a Ram multi of 3:5, everything adds up.

217MHz x 3/5 = 130MHz. But since the Ram is running at Double Data Rate (DDR), the actual speed is 260MHz.

Hope this help.

John

1Tanker

Yeah, and it's only running in single-channel mode.... so the Everest result looks about right for single-channel.

Lickman

Thanks alot for all the info guys. It helped alot, but its disspointing though because the performace is pretty crappy for a pentium 4 3.2 ghz prescott in an asrock p4vm800 board. I just finished setting it up for a friend going from an old williamette chip. My socket 939 asus at home, built around the same year, runs the identical pair of corsairs at way over 6000/second at stock timings. The processor is quite noticibly faster compared to the williamette though.

Latest posts