What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bonkers 99-100% disk usage - Windows 11 - SearchIndexer.exe

Lysrin

I've been noticing slower performance on my C: SSD, the old HP one. I haven't switched to the new WD yet... and I don't want to take this issue to the new drive when I clone. Hunting around I found that the SeachIndexer.exe process is just nailing my C: drive for extended periods of time.

I know what that process is supposed to do as part of Windows Search so just disabling it isn't really recommended. Stopping the "Windows Search" service drops disk usage back down to nearly none on idle, as expected.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour, and know of a setting I could change or something to tame it? I have tried changing what is getting indexed in the Indexing Options but it hasn't made any difference.

sswilson

Staff member
Usually see this kind of behaviour on a fresh install, but it's usually only obvious on a mechanical drive (I typically leave a mechanical drive install to run overnight to let it get it's indexing done).

Since it's an older install the only thing I can think of would be something like a corrupted index file. Hopefully one of the steps listed in that article will do the trick (although I have my doubts if those steps are truly W10 & W11 compatible).

Lysrin

Usually see this kind of behaviour on a fresh install, but it's usually only obvious on a mechanical drive (I typically leave a mechanical drive install to run overnight to let it get it's indexing done).

Since it's an older install the only thing I can think of would be something like a corrupted index file. Hopefully one of the steps listed in that article will do the trick (although I have my doubts if those steps are truly W10 & W11 compatible).
Your comment about it being only obvious on a mechanical drive is just another indicator I think of the degraded performance I am seeing in this HP SSD now. All the more reason to get moved over to the new WD sitting on my desk sooner rather than later!

Lysrin

Just as follow-up, I kept monitoring this and it appears to have tamed itself. I'm not sure what was going on with it that was causing the indexing to take so long. Perhaps something on my system was interrupting it. Not sure. I haven't done any big installs or different types of file changes. The overall decreased performance on the HP SSD certainly wasn't helping either though I would guess.

So appears like problem solved... but I'll be keeping an eye on it. And I'd still like to know what caused it.

Latest posts