What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

CD Projekt RED’s Witcher 2 Follow-Up Revealed: Cyberpunk 2077

belgolas

I agree with ipaine that the world feels quite alive and full of NPCS, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from again unless the people you're watching on Youtube aren't actually trying to play the game and ride the clickbait hits about bugs they've run into, or purposely re-created so that they can again ride that clickbait hits on youtube.
Just because there are lots of NPCs in the game does not make the game feel alive. I know Kingdom Come Deliverance is on a whole other level and better than any other open world for NPCs but play that game and you will know what I mean how that game is alive. That game also has a lot of ways to complete quests unlike CP2077. For example in KCD every NPC has a role they will do. Like every day a peasant will wake up, go put on their clothes, go eat, go to the fields and farm, then go to the pub and then go home to sleep. This worked for almost every NPC including main ones. So if there was a tough guy you wanted to kill but couldn't handle him in his full suit of armor you could simply track him to his house and kill him in his sleep or even if you did wake him up by being too loud he wouldn't have his armor on and be in his night time clothes making the fight easy.

In contrast CP2077 there are so many NPCs including shop vendors that have no interactions except one liners with and 99% of NPCs just walk back and forth on their set path or disappear behind you. In the Witcher 3 at least every shop vendor you could buy and sell and most you could play gwent with. IN CP2077 they are just empty husks with no purpose.

For a game that was so hyped and in development for so long I expected better. It doesn't help the CDPR promised so much that just isn't there.
"The city streets are bustling with crowds of people from all facets of life, all living their lives, with a full day/night cycle."
"According to new CDPR interviews, Cyberpunk 2077's new real-time AI systems will allow for incredible dynamism. Thousands of NPCs will have actual daily routines throughout Night City's six districts, including a ton of robust and varied characters with cyborg implants, unique designs and animations, and day and night cycles." All these things KCD has done yet is a much smaller dev team and in much less time.

Here are some examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-HeAeEynY&ab_channel=TakiyeDela
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHI847ma4rQ&ab_channel=Meddle2K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjntgOWYb1M&ab_channel=BearGamingAsia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVmD8qQNqY&ab_channel=Honcho

JD

Staff member
I think you're comparing very different worlds/time periods as well though. Medival times, I would expect more friendly, community feel. Cyber Punk is in a dystopian future and a huge metropolis with millions of people. You don't go strolling down streets in NYC chatting up every stranger you bump into, most will likely tell you off, much like they do in Cyber Punk.

I don't think we know the true intentions of Cyber Punk, bugs aside, it could very well be the story is written that people are "empty husks" as most are just a cog in the Corpo machine. The Nomands and Street Kids are the outcasts of society, doing what they can to make a living and survive. If you read all the messages and stories you can find scattered throughout, you get the feeling that it really isn't a great place to live.

I'd still consider the city "alive" though as you'll run into random gang deals going down, crime scenes, assaults, etc. Up to you if you want to intervene or pass by.

FreeKnight

I think you're comparing very different worlds/time periods as well though. Medival times, I would expect more friendly, community feel. Cyber Punk is in a dystopian future and a huge metropolis with millions of people. You don't go strolling down streets in NYC chatting up every stranger you bump into, most will likely tell you off, much like they do in Cyber Punk.

I don't think we know the true intentions of Cyber Punk, bugs aside, it could very well be the story is written that people are "empty husks" as most are just a cog in the Corpo machine. The Nomands and Street Kids are the outcasts of society, doing what they can to make a living and survive. If you read all the messages and stories you can find scattered throughout, you get the feeling that it really isn't a great place to live.

I'd still consider the city "alive" though as you'll run into random gang deals going down, crime scenes, assaults, etc. Up to you if you want to intervene or pass by.
Yeah the scale of the game doesn't allow for daily schedules of NPCs, much like GTA. That'd like add gigs to the gamesize and be a lot of additional load on processors. The NY analogy is apt. Talking to everyone in a Skyrim or KCD village makes sense from a technical perspective and even a socio-historical one, when the average village was small. Talking to every person is already impossible when you're in a city of thousands, let alone a mega-city like Night City that's probably supposed to several million people.

FreeKnight

Well shit, I forgot to sync my Cyberpunk saves and wiped the old SSD from my previous system. Most recent save is level 7 not level 50.

Think I'll wait until all the DLC is out before coming back to it. Not really willing to do another whole playthrough right now and the only mission I hadn't completed was the final 'point of no return' ones.

lowfat

Staff member
There is a side mission where you can come across the psycho from the OG trailer called 'Bullets'. Unfortuately it is very easy to not trigger the quest. As it seems you need to buy something from the Jinguji clothing store downtown. It really is a shame since its dialogue is pretty awesome.

ipaine

Finished my first playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077 last night (well technically very early this morning) and well I liked it.

And yes I played the crap out of it, I got 84% of the achievements (on GOG) in that single play. I'm sure I could have gotten even higher but some require a certain type of build.

Only missing:

1611005893197.png

Tried to get that Daemon in the Shell one, but I got that quickhack so late in the game I only had the main mission and some crime ones to finish up, so not many chances for it.

I do have my save and will just play the other endings soon but would have to do an all new build to get at least the Rough landing one and the V for Vendetta one. The landing one is the most exclusive as only 0.7% have gotten it.

Oh don't read this part unless you have finished the story or don't care

I was so sad in the ending that Judy left me. I really wanted to leave Night City with her. I sure hope that we get an expansion that continues from the space end and lets me get a happy end with Judy. Oh and really cliffhangerish end too, I liked it but also annoyed me cause I wanted to continue on.

Will have to go back and take a look at a couple more endings now.

Oh and here is a screenshot, cause why not.

photomode_17012021_235133.png

View full 3440x1440 here:
https://i.ibb.co/XCt96PB/photomode-17012021-235133.png

mGz

There's a very loud and vocal minority that have a strong hate boner agenda for CDPR. SMDH some of the articles I've read come across as so cringy. These hipsters that like to complain for the sake of complaining will always be prevalent with any title that generates this much hype, and most people are forgetting just how buggy and clunky the fighting mechanics were in TW3. Yet that didn't prevent TW:3 from being awarded GoTY. Recency bias is a fickle bitch and people will look for negatives whilst drowning out all the positives because it's fashionable to jump on the hate train. It's completely unwarranted imo.

lowfat

Staff member
Finished my first playthrough of Cyberpunk 2077 last night (well technically very early this morning) and well I liked it.

And yes I played the crap out of it, I got 84% of the achievements (on GOG) in that single play. I'm sure I could have gotten even higher but some require a certain type of build.

Only missing:

Tried to get that Daemon in the Shell one, but I got that quickhack so late in the game I only had the main mission and some crime ones to finish up, so not many chances for it.

I do have my save and will just play the other endings soon but would have to do an all new build to get at least the Rough landing one and the V for Vendetta one. The landing one is the most exclusive as only 0.7% have gotten it.

Oh don't read this part unless you have finished the story or don't care

I was so sad in the ending that Judy left me. I really wanted to leave Night City with her. I sure hope that we get an expansion that continues from the space end and lets me get a happy end with Judy. Oh and really cliffhangerish end too, I liked it but also annoyed me cause I wanted to continue on.

Will have to go back and take a look at a couple more endings now.

Oh and here is a screenshot, cause why not.

View attachment 30479

View full 3440x1440 here:
https://i.ibb.co/XCt96PB/photomode-17012021-235133.png

The grenade hack is so useless. All it ever did was explode flashbangs I quit using it. I honestly don't really care for achievements anyways. Like I won't do something I don't enjoy to get one.

My first playthrough went w/ the Rogue finale w/ Judy leaving. It was so depressing. And it really seemed like most of the epilogue voice mails I got were also depressing. Like if you tell Peralez the truth but don't mention his wife.

Second playthrough I went w/ a nomad Panam ending. Was so much better but bloody hell it was so buggy. This needs SERIOUS work compared to the Rogue option. Dialogue was being cut off. Panam would teleport. Framerate would drop to like 1FPS over and over. I saved Takemura this game and was sad when he was mad @ me at the end. :(

I'll wait till DLC comes out to play again. And do the remaining endings then.

EDIT: Played as a hacker the first playthrough and it was WAY OP by late game. Could kill 10+ enemies before even entering an area. So broken.

2nd time I did Mantis + Sandevistian. Man the Warp Dancer Sandevistian mod is so much fun. It's like the matrix.

JD

Staff member
I might do a full play again once the game is in a better state. Both endings (I guess 3 if you count the easy way out) I played through were full of bugs and glitches. At one point there was even a car driving vertically... Wasn't exactly enjoyable, though perhaps my save was getting corrupted or something? I had given up finishing the remaining missions I had too since they were becoming a buggy mess.

I played without RTX as I hear that causes memory leaks and FPS drops, so performance wise, it was fine (DLSS Auto).

Did you guys both play as female? I'm assuming you romanced Judy? I think that's the only way to have her in the ending from what I've read.

I believe all the endings conclude that V has died and the voicemails are people leaving them to mourn?

Hopefully the DLC takes us to Crystal Palace as that seems the most interesting. But at the same time, I'm not quite sure how they can write that in if we assume V dies. That seemed very much like his "last mission" as it sounded like he mostly wasted his other 6 months.

Going out to Arizona sounds like it happened immediately after, so he has 6 months to find a cure. Maybe more likely for the DLC to go this route, though I'm not sure how exciting a location that is.

I still have to play an ending where I let Johnny live in the body though, which based on Alt's comments, sounds like he'll survive much longer than 6 months as the body is "his". Perhaps the more probable DLC is that you play as Johnny now instead of V.

It also seems I didn't pick the right interactions to get the "secret" ending :(

lowfat

Staff member
I might do a full play again once the game is in a better state. Both endings (I guess 3 if you count the easy way out) I played through were full of bugs and glitches. At one point there was even a car driving vertically... Wasn't exactly enjoyable, though perhaps my save was getting corrupted or something? I had given up finishing the remaining missions I had too since they were becoming a buggy mess.

I played without RTX as I hear that causes memory leaks and FPS drops, so performance wise, it was fine (DLSS Auto).

Did you guys both play as female? I'm assuming you romanced Judy? I think that's the only way to have her in the ending from what I've read.

I believe all the endings conclude that V has died and the voicemails are people leaving them to mourn?

Hopefully the DLC takes us to Crystal Palace as that seems the most interesting. But at the same time, I'm not quite sure how they can write that in if we assume V dies. That seemed very much like his "last mission" as it sounded like he mostly wasted his other 6 months.

Going out to Arizona sounds like it happened immediately after, so he has 6 months to find a cure. Maybe more likely for the DLC to go this route, though I'm not sure how exciting a location that is.

I still have to play an ending where I let Johnny live in the body though, which based on Alt's comments, sounds like he'll survive much longer than 6 months as the body is "his". Perhaps the more probable DLC is that you play as Johnny now instead of V.

It also seems I didn't pick the right interactions to get the "secret" ending :(
Judy is definitely only a possibility if you play as female V. I don't think any of the romancable NPCs are bi.

As for DLCs, I actually hope they don't have V as the playable character. There is so much lore that really isn't touched on and I don't think could be playing as V.

Latest posts