What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Frequent Blue Screens-HELP!

mo' power

HP/Compaq. Now we get it. Glad you got into bios finally. Those pc's are notorious for supplying underpowered psu.

If you can change your video adapter to pciex16 in bios to primary, card installed and still have no video on your monitor, I call psu or defective card. I'm leaning towars the psu.

How old is your pc?

UPDATE:
So I ran MemTest86+ for 10 hours and it reported 10 passes and 0 errors. So can we rule out the fact that its not a faulty RAM?

If you're using an HP/Compaq, are you using the stock power supply? Maybe the puny 300 Watt (peak) power supply it came with isn't enough to power your after market graphics card.

I bought a new power supply for the after market card on Boxing Day. Its a Thermaltake TR2 430W psu...

Canker

Do you know the power requirements of your ATI 4860? Does your power supply meet or exceed it?

The TT 430W isn't a bad power supply, but personally I wouldn't trust it to deliver the goods with a graphics card requiring additional power, esp since (going by memory) the TT 430W is an ATX 1.3 power supply using an included adapter to work with newer mainboards. I know that although they work in newer mainboards with the adapter, things like ACPI don't seem to work right. If you can borrow a good power supply off someone else, I would try it and see if you notice any difference.

I bought a new power supply for the after market card on Boxing Day. Its a Thermaltake TR2 430W psu...

I have attached two files here

The first one shows the driver version of the ATI video card. Is that the most recent version because I cannot find the latest version anywhere on google. When I go to the ATI website it tells me to download 10.1 Catalyst Control Centre which is what I have

The second one shows ATI Overdrive UI and if you look at Fan Control, the slider is at 50% but the fan picture on the right isnt spinning and is showing 0%. The video card on my fan is running though. Any ideas?

Attachments

• driver version.jpg
    driver version.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 135
  • ATI Overdrive.jpg
    ATI Overdrive.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 163
Do you know the power requirements of your ATI 4860? Does your power supply meet or exceed it?

The TT 430W isn't a bad power supply, but personally I wouldn't trust it to deliver the goods with a graphics card requiring additional power, esp since (going by memory) the TT 430W is an ATX 1.3 power supply using an included adapter to work with newer mainboards. I know that although they work in newer mainboards with the adapter, things like ACPI don't seem to work right. If you can borrow a good power supply off someone else, I would try it and see if you notice any difference.

But when I was using Windows Vista with the same PSU and GPU, I had no problems. It all started after I installed Windows 7. Could the OS affect the PSU??

frontier204

According to that screenshot you posted your graphics card is overclocked. I see 700 GPU clock on your slider bar, and the spec sheet for the Radeon 4860 ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4830 / HD 4860 Graphics - Overview says it should only run at 650 MHz. Maybe you can post the exact model number of your GPU, so we can see if it's supposed to run at that speed?

To test if your issue is GPU heat (or power supply failing under GPU loads), make sure the "Enable ATI Overdrive" box is UNCHECKED, and run Furmark FurMark: Graphics Card Stability and Stress Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

The operating system can affect how much power a system draws (e.g. see the difference between laptop battery life on Windows XP vs Vista / 7), but Windows 7 should have similar or smaller power consumption.

Latest posts