What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

HDD power switch

Toyoracer

This should prolong hdd's life. Now be able to turn off drives when not in use.
Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.
product06.php

MarkOne

Banned
it can be something good for dual booting. and drive you use occasionally.

but Sorry I will never turn my drive off. they run day and night. I really don't like the cycle on/off with HD, I have 3 HD here on my server that was turn off may be 1 hour in the last 5 years......

Last edited:

MarkOne

Banned
Well for me I want Win7 and Ubuntu so with this I could turn off hdd's not using, right?

It should boot on the one connected. it avoid the problem related to dual booting on the same disk for sure. you can even put a small disk with XP by example , or another disk for suspicious download. so may use to a such device.

Sorry Toyota I edit my first post and put my rant about shutting down after :ph34r: was not quite polite to live it as first reply to you fine discovery :haha:

Toyoracer

MarkOne
rant about shutting down after :ph34r: was not quite polite to live it as first reply to you fine discovery :haha:[/quote]

That's okay I did not even notice.
For duel booting this should work great, I never turn my system off either.

jokers_greg

there's a delicate balance when it comes to what ruins HDD life. On the one hand, by switching it on and off, it's total hours are lower. On the other hand, the wear and tear of start and stop (and small surge of voltage every time) will take its toll as well. Just buy WD Green Drives that spin down to a very low power state.

Toyoracer

On dual os one set could be off a week or two at a time, so would this then not be worth it?